Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeguy

I built my first Radiaor Cover!! Pics

OldHomeGuy
18 years ago

I made it out of poplar, what do you guys think? It is in the nursery.

Comments (22)

• TypoQueen
    18 years ago

Wow ! That is great! How long did it take you?

• kframe19
    18 years ago

That's VERY nice, but may I suggest something?

You need to louver or ventilate the top to really keep up the efficiency of your radiator.

If you block off the entire top like that you really shut down the convection.

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, it took me about 2-3 hours to build/sand and prep. And a few hours to stain and finish.

I appreciate the feedback on the top of the cover. This radiator cranks, it is one of the hottest in the house, and it is in a small room. It is also the prototype for the 7 other ones I have to build. I want to see how it performs in the winter, and then build some more.

When I purchased the house, there were one or two metal ones that had a solid top, so that is where I took my que. I also found that a lot of the ones that I saw for sale had a solid top. And this one being a small radiator I figured it would be ok. I have plans to put the metal grate in at least three sides and maybe the top of some of the other ones because they heat very large rooms. Thanks!

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

The ones with metal tops did have a surface that conducted heat, unlike wood tops, so they would be a little more efficient, even though any closed top will limit convection.

I'm a woodworker, and think you did a great job. My suggestion for increased efficiency would be to make the next tops up out of strips of wood separated by spacer blocks. That would open up the top a lot. It wouldn't be as pretty as what you've done, but it would be an ok compromise between form and function. You could also (or instead), leave the top solid, but have it supported only at the four corners with the sides lowered maybe 3/4" so that the covection currents can readily flow out.

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is a good idea, thanks. I could rout the cut outs to have a nice appearance. I was thinking that on most of the other ones, I would build four of the sides (front, sides and top, they will be backless) just like the face frame on this one with the metal grating.

Another reason the top is solid, is because it will be in my soon to be born daughters room, and I thought she might want to sit on it on some cold winter morning to warm up her little tushy :).

Thanks for the great advice!!

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

OldHomeGuy-
    I think it's a good idea that it has a solid top in a kid's room so that stuff doesn't keep getting dropped in the little holes!

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

That's beautiful! The color of stain is lovely, as is the wood. What stain did you use?
    Gina

• kframe19
    18 years ago

I was actually thinking of taking the solid top that's on it and using a plunge router with a straight cutting bit, maybe 3/8ths to 1/2" in diameter to cut a series of slots in the top.

Depending on how you jigged it, you could even do decorative fretworking.

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kframe, I am not quite that advanced yet. I will get there soon.

Gina, It is a custom stain that I mixed to match the woodwork. It is a combo of Minwax Red Oak, Puritan, Golden Oak and Walnut. Working in the paint store through college finally paid off!

The next cover will be a little more intricate. It will be going in the dining room and will be a lot of fun to make, plus it is much larger.

• maisoui1
    18 years ago

You did an absolutely beautiful job. Yours looks so professional. What did you use for the grating?

• kframe19
    18 years ago

"Kframe, I am not quite that advanced yet. I will get there soon."

Something tells me we won't have long to wait to see that.

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kframe. I am getting there. I used radiator grating for the metal, I am not sure what the exact name is. They have it at the hardware store by me for about 18 dollars a sheet. One sheet will do approx 2 radiators.

I am currently refinishing an old craddle for my wife. When that is finished I will start on the radiator covers again. The next one will be more intricate, and I am excited to start it.

Thanks for all the encouragment.

• kurthague
    18 years ago

Your radiator cover looks great. I am building one for my kitchen and am thinking of using the same type of granite for my counters as a top.

Any ideas.

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds good. I would make sure that you build it in such a way to support the weight of the granite. One thought, is that I do not think that Granite will transfer the heat very well. Wood is not that great either, but probably better than granite. How thik will the piece be?

Use hardwood. What kind of tools do you have? I have found a biscuit jointer to be the best tool for but jointing the face frame. They can be a little pricey if you do not have one, and you may not use it that often.

I used my skillsaw, tablesaw, compound miter saw, jigsaw, biscuit jointer, and orbital sanders. So my tip for anyone would be to have some really good tools to work with (of course if you have lots of great tools, this message doesn't really help!)

Take your time, take good measurements, and dry fit it around the radiator as you go.

Things to consider- do you want to cover the radiator valve in the floor? Do you want an opening for the vent? Do you need to make a template of your trim so that you can cut out the profile on the back of the cover so it will fit flush against the wall?

If you use granite, how will it attach?

Hope I was of some help, I am a woodworking beginner, so I can offer any suggestions you would like, I do not know if they will be right. Thanks!

• kurt4
    18 years ago

This will be my third cover. I used a dowel jig to join the face and the sides. I have used pine and also MDF(never again). I plan on using Liquid Nails to attach the granite top. Making good measurements are the key. I made many trips back and forth from my garage to the radiator. Have any of you ever found dimensioned plans on the covers?

• OldHomeGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found very basic, and I mean basic plans on line at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: simple cover plans

• kurt4
    18 years ago

Thanks for the plans. I built mine somewhat like that one, but, I used 1" slats in the front. If I can get my son to help, I will send picture. Thanks again.

• vstech
    18 years ago

a lot of the metal radiator covers had solid tops to support pans of water for humidification.
    some it the older neiborhoods around here actually have drawers in them to hold water.
    FYI
    John

• KitchenGodsWife
    18 years ago

I just have to share my radiator cover. My dad built it for me and just installed it today. I am planning to tile the top, but it's not done yet (have to order the tile, have to wallpaper behind it etcetc.) Excuse the dust as we are still mid-renovation/redecoration in that room. I know the bottom space is a little high but he was insistent on the fact that we need to be able to get vacuum tools under there to clean, hehe. When it's done it will make a great buffet in our dining room and I'm sure it will become a favorite place for the cats in the winter.

• beds
    18 years ago

awesome! I love it!

• margaret_mahoney2006_comcast_net
    16 years ago

Hi.I live in a Housing development where they give you way too much heat and there is nothing we can do about it.I would like to cover my radiators for this purpose.I would have to buy the tools and other things and was wondering if this is worth it.I would be a beginner at this.Any suggestions on how to go about this.Thanks so much.

• Mparks2_comcast_net
    16 years ago

these pics and links are great. I am wanting to build some for my house. My first floor apartment has metal covers in all the rooms but none on the 2nd or 3rd floor in the other apartment. some of mine have pipes that go up to the next floor that are not enclosed in the wall or sit between two windows so that one end is up against a window sill. most have valves that are at the top of the rad so the knob sticks up high. I am a beginner at wood working and don't have my own tools but I may be able to access the ones at the high school I work for.