Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Best stripper??

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

I recently used peel away 6 for the slightly fancy woodwork (its not flat, not sure how to describe) around my back door (exterior on covered porch)because I wanted it to look nicer / smoother than just scraped. Also I like the idea of not having the lead paint flying all over the place. Not only did it not work as I expected, but it softened the nice old clear oak so much that my dh had to treat it with the clear epoxy that he is using to restore the punky areas we unfortunately have on much of the more exposed exterior trim.

I want the front door trim to look nice too. Ideas on the best way to remove Oil based lead paint, several layers? Should it be scraped as much as possible first? Or is there a product that doesn't mess up the wood? I will be painting it, so don't need to remove every bit, but I'd like to get more paint out of the crevices.

tia

kathy

ps 1920s home, sided with aluminum, but at least they left the nice trim and cornice boards, not to mention the four porches.

these links are to some interesting sites that tell what parts of a house are called. Not that I still get it right lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parts of a house

Comments (5)