Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best stripper??

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 9:45

I recently used peel away 6 for the slightly fancy woodwork (its not flat, not sure how to describe) around my back door (exterior on covered porch)because I wanted it to look nicer / smoother than just scraped. Also I like the idea of not having the lead paint flying all over the place. Not only did it not work as I expected, but it softened the nice old clear oak so much that my dh had to treat it with the clear epoxy that he is using to restore the punky areas we unfortunately have on much of the more exposed exterior trim.
I want the front door trim to look nice too. Ideas on the best way to remove Oil based lead paint, several layers? Should it be scraped as much as possible first? Or is there a product that doesn't mess up the wood? I will be painting it, so don't need to remove every bit, but I'd like to get more paint out of the crevices.
tia
kathy
ps 1920s home, sided with aluminum, but at least they left the nice trim and cornice boards, not to mention the four porches.

these links are to some interesting sites that tell what parts of a house are called. Not that I still get it right lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parts of a house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
more parts

Just thought it was cool so giving another house part site.

Here is a link that might be useful: House parts plus interior systems

o
RE: Best stripper??

Since lead vaporizes at about 1800 degrees (Lead oxide and lead actetate at higher temps), you would need to be using a propane or mapp gas torch to reach the optimal "vapor pressure" temperature. An ordinary heat gun is not capable of temps that high, which is why it's my choice for paint removal for previously-varnished (shellacked) detailed wood surfaces (and some ornamental plasterwork).
An infrared heater like "silent paint stripper" is also acclaimed by many as a excellent tool.
I follow it up with Kutzit liquid stripper.
Casey

o

We like EZ Way. It leaves the wood in stellar condition, and will remove several layers of paint. It's pretty quick too. You don't need to clean up with anything else after using it. I like the semi paste for the dirty work and the regular, liquid stripper for the last bits and clean up. My husband uses a heat gun first and finishes with the EZ Way, but I don't like heat gunning so I use the stripper from start to finish.

KarinL

o

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Silent Paint Remover but I will admit that it is durned expensive. However, we had to strip an entire porch of about a dozen thick, globby layers of paint - we tried a whole slew of different paint removers and broke out the Visa card for the SPR. We went down to bare wood since it was safer than taking off the lumpy upper layers and then sanding known lead paint to a smooth, paintable surface. (Weather permitting, we begin priming this weekend. We have lost SO much time to bad weather this summer we're both about to lose our minds.) We also have what seems like acres of interior trim to strip, since PO did not bother to sand or even scrape off loose paint before slopping on another layer, so it was a worthwhile purchase. We needed no specialty scrapers, we just used the ones from the hardware store, nor did we need to follow up with any chemical strippers.

DH has, in the past, set a fire with a heat gun, but never even so much as "lightly toasted" a centimeter of wood with the SPR.

I have no affiliation with the company except as a satisfied customer.

o

Thanks everyone. I will talk with dh and look into your suggestions.
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here