Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetgia

We got our (old) house!

janetgia
15 years ago

We closed on our new home on Thursday of last week, and I'm THRILLED!! The home is a 1957 ranch home with screen porch and 2-car garage, three bedrooms, full basement with finished recreation room, on just about 3/4 acre. It is about 2400 square feet of useable space, which is wonderful for us considering that our previous home was 1050 square feet. (That house was destroyed in the flooding here in June, and we have been living in a camper in the driveway ever since. So it's a HUGE relief for us to finally have a place to move into!)

We spent a four-day weekend prepping and painting every room upstairs - the kitchen is all that remains of the painting work. I need to deep-clean every surface in the kitchen before we paint there, and we need to replace the carpet in the living/dining room, then we can move in - hopefully that will all be done by the end of the week. We also got the washer and dryer hooked up, re-secured the front door, fixed the leaking kitchen faucet, removed a damaged built-in headboard from one bedroom and repaired the wall, took up carpet in the bedrooms to reveal very nice hardwood floors, and a few other smaller things.

One of the neat things we found: We couldn't figure out why there was beautiful hardwood in the all the bedrooms and the linen closet, but only sub-floor in the hallway, living room & dining room. WHY would they not install hardwood throughout, we wondered? Well in the coat closet, we found some VERY 50's (VERY original!) linoleum affixed to the floor (covered by carpet)so we've decided that the entire LR/DR probably had this material on the floor when it was new. I'm going to remove the carpet and keep that little bit of remaining linoleum showing in the closet.

WOOHOO - we are on our way!!

Comments (5)