Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We got our (old) house!

Posted by janetgia (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 9:43

We closed on our new home on Thursday of last week, and I'm THRILLED!! The home is a 1957 ranch home with screen porch and 2-car garage, three bedrooms, full basement with finished recreation room, on just about 3/4 acre. It is about 2400 square feet of useable space, which is wonderful for us considering that our previous home was 1050 square feet. (That house was destroyed in the flooding here in June, and we have been living in a camper in the driveway ever since. So it's a HUGE relief for us to finally have a place to move into!)

We spent a four-day weekend prepping and painting every room upstairs - the kitchen is all that remains of the painting work. I need to deep-clean every surface in the kitchen before we paint there, and we need to replace the carpet in the living/dining room, then we can move in - hopefully that will all be done by the end of the week. We also got the washer and dryer hooked up, re-secured the front door, fixed the leaking kitchen faucet, removed a damaged built-in headboard from one bedroom and repaired the wall, took up carpet in the bedrooms to reveal very nice hardwood floors, and a few other smaller things.

One of the neat things we found: We couldn't figure out why there was beautiful hardwood in the all the bedrooms and the linen closet, but only sub-floor in the hallway, living room & dining room. WHY would they not install hardwood throughout, we wondered? Well in the coat closet, we found some VERY 50's (VERY original!) linoleum affixed to the floor (covered by carpet)so we've decided that the entire LR/DR probably had this material on the floor when it was new. I'm going to remove the carpet and keep that little bit of remaining linoleum showing in the closet.

WOOHOO - we are on our way!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We got our (old) house!

Congratulations!!! Might you consider no carpet and installing hardwood in the living/dining rooms?

By the way, I'm older than your house so I definitely do not consider a 1957 house as "old":)

o

Congratulations! Your energy and enthusiasm will get those pre-moving projects done in no time.

You're probably right about the linoleum tile throughout the house. Our house was built sometime around 1920, but in the 50's when my in-laws became the owners it had this type of flooring over all the hardwood on the first floor. I saw an old magazine ad from that tie showing how you could 'modernize those dark floors' with colorful flooring and the add showed the tile going over the hardwood.

I know you will be very happy in your new home!

o

Thank you both for the well-wishes... Patser, I appreciate the frame of reference. I should have said we got our "older than me" house! I actually love the age of this house - it was obviously an executive home when it was built, and over the years has suffered through "updates" that reflected the trends of the decade in which they happened. So when I say "old" what I really mean is it needs to be returned to its original glory. As for hardwood in the living/dining, we are looking into it but I'm not sure we have the funds right now. I am just anxious to get *something* put in so we can be settled before it gets really cold here.

Lauren, I tried to take a picture of our linoleum patch yesterday but my camera could not capture it. I will be taking up the carpet in the next day or so and will clean that patch and try to get a better picture. It's orangey-gold in color and seems to have some sort of starburst pattern to it. I can't imagine how wild it must have looked through two whole rooms, but it definitely would have looked modern!

Janet

o

CONGRATS!!! Isn't it exciting? We have linoleum or vinyl (not sure which) in 2 bedrooms. It's white with glitter spots. It's just tacky enough that I would keep it if it were in decent shape (of course it's not). I know just what you mean about needing to clean the kitchen, ugh!

Post some pictures when you can.

o

Congratulations! I love screen porches. Enjoy!
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here