Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Porch furniture for 30s Bungalow?

party_music50
13 years ago

Now that my porch is finally being redone, I'd like some nice furniture that is suited to the period and style of the house. Does anyone know what furniture would have probably been used on a craftsman/bungalow-style covered porch in the late 30s? My basket-weaving hobby makes me want wicker, but would that have been used on a craftsman/bungalow then? :)

Comments (6)

• ks_toolgirl
    13 years ago

Hi, others could better answer this but I'll give it a shot! :-)
    Being a huge Stickley fan, I can't imagine anything better than a pair of Mission rockers & an old quilt or two, (can you tell I'm feeling fall coming on, lol?) on a covered craftsman porch! Throw in some custom items, chairs, footstools? (woven/wicker, of course - make them yourself!) and you could have a great melding of your home & you. Sounds like a place I'd like to "kick back" in!
    Anyway - mission style for sure, IMO.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Wicker, Adriondak, and twig furniture would all be appropriate. All three styles have been around for a long, long time.

Built in swings were very common on craftsman bungalows too.

Here are some charming inspiration pictures for you.

Drop on over to the House Decorating board and show us your baskets and how you use them in your decor!

Also, you might be interested in our Gallery. We have 14 threads of decor there, with hundreds of pictures of gorgeous rooms to inspire you for anything you want to do inside your home. Snoop around there.

Have fun with your porch!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Decorating Gallery

• User
    13 years ago

We have a 1919 bungalow and have metal chairs from this manufacturer on our front porch, along with a wooden swing that we picked up from a Craigslist seller. Adirondack style furniture would also be very appropriate if your GW zone/location is current.

We used mail order and assembled the pieces ourselves. It was quick and easy and customer service was very satisfactory.

I am not affiliated with this company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torrans

• party_music50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. Thank you for the great replies!!!

ks_toolgirl, I had guessed that Stickley/mission-style furniture would be the answer. When I searched on-line I wasn't able to find much in the "outdoor furniture" categories... it's probably a 'one piece fits all/any' theory. With my odd porch layout (NOT rectangular), I was hoping for something with curved lines to help soften the look, if you know what I mean. :) I admit that my indoor furniture/decor is eclectic. lol! very little is 'mission' style, but it works for me. The porch is different because it's the one thing everyone can see, and I've always hated it until this restoration project got well underway. Now it deserves some special treatment. lol!

OMG, oceanna, those photos are gorgeous! The built-in swing in the first pic looks like it was meant to be on my porch! But as much as I love all of them, where would I find the furniture that's in the 2nd photo? that's it! I know that's the style that's meant to be there. That chair doesn't look like it can be called mission-style because of the rounded back with the radiating spindles -- but the rocker looks to me like it might be called mission. I will definitely look at the forum you mentioned. The stair photo is great... I used huge pots of light coral-colored geraniums and lantana this year and they definitely draw attention. :)

patser, I can't believe it... the metal chairs on the front page of that site are identical to a set my parents *were* going to give me. They backed out after my father repainted everything. lol! And, yes, I am just south of the Adirondacks. Adirondack-style would probably look great on the porch, but I've never been comfortable in any piece I've sat in because I'm so small (think of Lily Tomlin as the little girl in the rocker in 'Laugh-in' ;^) Was Adirondack furniture built with lumberjack-size men in mind? :)

Thanks everyone for the replies and great ideas!!!

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Hi Party Music. I don't know where to find new things because I like to buy American, and new things in my budget are from China or somewhere, probably painted with toxic paint. I try not to buy that stuff.

I find things in my local CraigsList at a bargain price, and repair, or repaint, or just clean up as needed. It's amazing what you can find there, you save something from the landfill, you can go see/try before you buy, you can make friends, your money stays local helping your neighbors and your town, and everyone wins. So that's my suggestion -- haunt CL and your local newspaper ads, and Freecycle in your area for a few weeks and see what turns up. Have fun!

Oh, you inspired me so I started a new thread on porches over in the Home Decorating Gallery. I have these pics and a few more, and will be adding more over time (lots on file, just need to find the time), plus others add to those threads. So you might want to keep an eye out there for ideas for any room of the house.

And when you're done with your lovely porch, I hope you'll post pictures over on the Home Dec board -- I'd love to see what you do! I hope you get a rocker too. Porches need rockers, IMO.

• msgableus_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Look at picture #4 straight down - your daybed can be made to look exactly like this and also look at the CEILING....just like your porch ceiling.