Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting an old victorian

Posted by heydeho (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 7:24

I just painted my Victorian house. I am really unhappy with the colors. I thought it would be bright and light but it is not. I picked very neutral colors because I was overwhelmed.

I don't know what to do now. I think I can possibly add accent colors to bring out the character of the house. I feel like I took away everything fun and interesting about my house. I painted it a revere pewter body with navajo white trim. Bad choices.

I was having trouble picking colors so I found a house I liked and they told me what colors they used. I did the exact same colors and let me tell you my house looks nothing like theirs.

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting an old victorian

You can Google painted ladies, painted Victorians and look at houses where they have picked out the details in 3rd, 4th and 5th paint colors. The neutral tones you have now would be easy to add to. Navy, deep red, dark blue-green, lavendar. I would find some examples you like that have more than two colors, buy some sample pots of paint and try it out. You have made a significant change; be careful to give yourself time enought to let it really sink in. You may decide that you like it after all. Did you paint your front door and contrasting color? That may me the first thing to try.
Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Vics

o
RE: painting an old victorian

It's an act of faith to jump in and use paint traditional to period architecture or decorating. The last time the exterior of our home was redone, it had been seventy five years previous. When they gave us the choice of shades they could incorporate into the mix, and the dh and I were brainstorming, the sales consultant poked fun of a yellow sample, saying that it would make a huge old house look like a giant stick of butter. I told her to go for it, and we've never regretted it since.

The beauty of most Victorian homes are the lines and detail work. If you must change paints, I'll bet just going to a crisp and darker detail to accentuate those things over the pewter base would go a long way toward making it more what you expected. Yes, and even simply painting a door can make a big difference. I just sold a hundred year old town house. Yes, it was a pewter and it just didn't zing. I painted the door wine red. It helped A LOT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here