Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul101_gw

Best way to proceed with French Drain on old stone house?

paul101
10 years ago

Hi, I�m new to the forum and am hoping that someone on here will be able to help me.

I have a 2 story house which is built into the side of a hill. As you approach the house from the road, you are presented with the 1st floor, and so it looks like a bungalow. However, there is a floor below which on the road side of the house is �buried� underground. The house is built from 2 skins of stone � it�s a couple of hundred years old.

My plan was to make a French drain along this front wall (and down the side of the house) down to the level of the floor downstairs. I have (with help) dug the trench, but am now wondering whether this is the best thing to do, given that the walls are stone, and as I understand, need to �breath�. My plan was to render the outside wall so that there is a smooth surface on which to place a membrane and then put the requisite pipe-with-holes at the foot of the trench and refill with gravel and soil.

This should stop moisture from the earth penetrating the house, shouldn�t it? But what will happen to moisture on the inside which is trying to �escape�? Will it hit the membrane and come back inside, creating damp?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and let me know if you need any more info. Hopefully someone will have a decent solution!

Cheers, Paul

Here are some pictures:

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/paul_matthews3/library/French%20Drain

Comments (4)