Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Door jambs not wide enough - way to extend?

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

Goal: is to have draywall installed on a wall that has an exterior door (back door) so that junction between drywall and door jamb on the inside have nice finished appearance.

Problem: The width of the door jamb is/seems too narrow. Only discovered after door has been installed and preparation for the dry wall is next step. Problem is this is an old house - 75 years old - and the wall is thicker than the door jamb because of extra horizontal "blocking" using 5" X 3/4" horizontal wood across studs. Demolition of the 5" X 3/4" wood strips will be very tedious, lots of nails. I know because we've already had some of it demolished. Is there any way to have trim added so that the door jambs are extended enough so that dry wall not extend out beyond the jamb? and not impact operation of door hinge? and what about the bottom?

This is not a DIY project so need something that may be understood by a regular contractor and us if possible.

Bottom line: From what I can tell there are at least two solutions such as re-installing door with wider door jamb or removing horizontal wood from walls but I'm asking if there is a third solution somehow? Thoughts?

I found this info about this problem Norm Abram talks about jamb extensions but I don't think this covers the problem with the strip of door jamb across the bottom (i.e. threshold) being too narrow also.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,1549881,00.html

Comments (5)