Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rat Problem Lookout

Posted by yoyoma (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 1:05

In the past my attic has been populated by rats. Although they are gone now, and all holes plugged (I think), the neighborhood is teeming with roof rats, and the fruit trees and ivy in the backyard mean they're probably living very close by.

So what I was wondering, is there a wireless, infrared, motion-sensing video camera available? Since nothing should ever be moving up there, I think this would be a good solution rather than checking every month for problems. Any opinions on this? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rat Problem Lookout

You don't even need to put a camera in, you can put in a motion sensor with any kind of alarm to let you know you are having some sort of activity in the attic where there shouldn't be any. I have alarm systems in one house, in my greenhouses and also now on my driveway so I can tell if somebody is coming up unannounced. I think you have a good idea if that is a concern, and the only reason I'm suggesting anything other than what you propose is that with so many motion sensing devices out there, you can get a usable system for so many different pricepoints you can rig up yourself. A motion sensor with a receiver device on a downstairs lamp for instance. I bought one of those at a hardare store closing sale years ago for about sixteen dollars, lol. You screw the receiver on a lamp and it can be set for steady or flash and if the sensor picks up movement in light or dark, it sends a signal to the receiver and the lamp flashes. Cheap, cheap, cheap and runs on a few AA batteries and they should last forever if you have no activity.

o

That's a good idea, thanks!

o

Do you have a cat?

o

No cat, allergies.

o

Do you play the cello?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here