Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forster_gw

Old Window

forster
11 years ago

HELP......redoing a bathroom in a 1918 farmhouse, someone has given me a wonderful old woodframe window that will look great with what I am doing, however, it fits perfect into the opening that I have but it was a stable window and I would like to have it so it would swing out from the bottom to allow fresh air in. Has anyone done this or can give me advice on how to do this. It is a 3 foot by 2 foot opening. Thanks.............

Comments (7)

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

Put hinges on the top so that when you pull it closed it fits against the parting bead. You may have to cut a bit off the outside frame, or do it so that it swings into the room by having it close against the inside part of the parting bead.

This is if your old window was a double-hung with upper and lower sashes. A pic of the jambs would help. :)

• forster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply columbusguy, no it is not a double-hung window, it is just a solid framed 3foot x 2 foot wood frame window that would have just fit in the opening. The window in the bathroom now is an ugly aluminum framed slider. I was not going to use the old wood framed window because of it not being able to open and let some fresh air in, but it is such a neat window and goes with the era of the house I am going to try and make it work. Right now we are stripped down to the studs
    so can make it fit into the space, just wondering if anyone had done something similar in an old house. Yes, our thoughts were to put hinges on the top so that it would just push out from the bottom, I am sure there is brass fittings to hold the window out. Hope this is making sense to you........

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Friction sash adjusters will do just that, but what are you doing about a screen?

• forster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks millworkman, where could I obtain the friction sash adjusters. Not as concerned about a screen. Live where we do not have lots of bugs and window would not be open all of the time. It is just such a neat looking window and fits the time period of the house.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

If you hinge the window to swing inward, the screen could be put outside like a normal one....When I first moved into Columbus in '87, a friend and I rented the upper two floors of a house built around 1880, and it had a 'sleeping porch' across the whole back with screens outside, and inside were ten-paned sash hinged at the top. We swung them up and inward to let in the nice breezes, although we had to prop them open with lengths of dowel. :)
    The owner let the house go to hell when I moved, and just before my friend graduated from OSU, she said water had leaked into the kitchen below of the first floor apartment, so the owner had put plywood over all the windows on the sleeping porch. :(

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Not all sash can be hung from their top rails. If the structure isn't up to the task, you can add some steel corner brackets.
    Casey

• millworkman
    11 years ago

A good lumberyard or hardware store should either have them in stock or can order them in for you. I would recommend staying with the H.B.Ives brand.