Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Post Renovation Clean-Up??

Posted by dc_charlotte (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 23:39

Hi All,

Our kitchen is nearly done. We have boxes in our 1924 tudor house and a few random pieces of furniture. The rest of the stuff is coming from our temporary apartment and will be moved in next week.

My question is this:

What is the best way to rid the house of work dust from our kitchen renovation??

I have a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old and I'm a bit freaked out about them ingesting the work dust. Can someone give me some guidance?? I wasn't anticipating a renovation at all, but we were unable to find a suitable home that didn't need work. Unfortunately I spent so much time pulling together a quick renovation and I'm out of steam to figure out the clean-up!!

PLEASE ADVISE!!! :( I don't want my kids to get sick from all this and I'm nervous about lead and whatever else may be in the remaining dust. I'm so overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Post Renovation Clean-Up??

A hepa filter air cleaner would probably do the trick, along with a good amount of elbow grease.
Lots of towels, a bucket of water and a few friends would make short work of the mess.
Better to do it now, when the house is almost empty, than to try cleaning around all your stuff.

o

I wouldn't use towels or cloths you intend to launder. I'd use disposable ones you could seal up and toss in the trash. Normally I'm against throw-away stuff, but for cleaning up potential lead-contaminated dust, I wouldn't want to clean those rags in my washer, nor would it be ethical to take them to a commercial laundromat and leave any residue for the next unsuspecting user.

I'd do physical removal first before running the HEPA air filter. No point in contaminating your vac or a HEPA machine with stuff you may be able to remove, permanently. After you washed and dried any surfaces that can take it, then get the machine going to clean out any remaining dust particles in the air. And don't shake mops or dust cloths outside your home as that will just contaminate the soil underneath where you track it back in again, or ruin it for growing food.

Molly~

o

The standard for removing lead dust is HEPA vacuum followed by washing surfaces with TSP solution and then rinsing. There is also a product called Ledisolv (you can buy it online) which is supposed to be as effective as TSP but less toxic.

o

Yes, do the cleanup while the place is still relatively empty. On the other hand, it might not be so bad. I've gotten a certain satisfaction cleaning after a renovation. It really provides a nice end to a project.

o

The whole idea is not raising dust and causing it to be airborn. Pick up the chunks. I used a push broom to slowly push the major grit and dust up (with all doors shut.....or if the room didn't have a door, suspend an old sheet over the opening to keep the dust confined), instead of vigorous back and forth sweeping with a normal broom. Then I'd also use disposable material, moistened, to get as much loose tuff up as I could. Then I'd vacuum it with a machine with a hepa filter. Then wash it well. Then repeat with a rinse, whether the cleaner says it's necessary or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here