Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-skim old plaster - too thin in places.

Posted by jefsboys (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 23:18

Hello,

I am renovating a house I just bought for my family. It is a wonderful 2.5 story built in 1904.
We are working on the bathroom now and here is where I am....
We stripped the wall paper in the bathroom and found severely chipped and flaking paint. After 20-30 hours of scraping paint to the original plaster I decided to re-skim the walls.

I got Red Top Gauging Plaster. I mixed it up for the sand float finish. After some finishing test in the closet I see that they probably used a wood float originally in the house so that is what I am using.

To the issue... I did my first wall tonight with the skim coat and floated it out with the wood float, now I see that I was thin in a couple of small areas. The Red Top calls to be a 1/16" thick and doubled back over with pressure. I have some smaller areas where I can see the through to the old plaster.
Is this going to cause a problem with plaster falling off or if the texuture is good enough do you think I would be ok with letting this dry and then going through the priming/painting process?
I don't mind doing a second coat on the wall but if it is not necessary then I won't. If a second coat how long would I wait before applying it?...

Thank you in advance,
Jeffrey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-skim old plaster - too thin in places.

If it was mixed properly (Lime putty, sand and gauging) which isn't exactly apparent from your post, you may or may not have problems where it does not meet the recommended thickness. The possibility exists on the thin areas that it will evaporate dry without curing. Water is needed for the lime to cure, and when the water evaporates quickly (more likely in a too-thin application) the plaster reverts to a powder state instead of setting up hard.
You'll know in a day. If you can powder off spots with rubbing, you need to apply it thicker.
If the problems spots are quite small in size, you could wait until after priming, then, treat as a drywall repair, with regular mud.
Casey

o

Excellent. Thank you.
Yes, the mix was done precisely as instructed on the Red Top Gauging Plaster bag (lime putty, then gauging and sand - exact proportions from bag). I put two coats of Tammsweld on the wall before applying skim coat.

Thank you for your input. Any other advice on this is greatly appreciated if there is more.

Jeffrey

o
2nd coat? RE: Re-skim old plaster - too thin in places.

Sorry for doubling up here...
Let's say after 24 hours I just want to apply another thin layer of skim coat....
What would be the steps at that point?
Would I put another coat of the bonding agent on again and then skim coat?
I have only done a small section in the bathroom as I am hoping to get this technique down before doing the larger areas of the bathroom (none larger than 30 sq. ft of wall area).

Jeffrey

o

Since it's a lime plaster, you have a little time where it will bond perfectly well without benefit of a bonding agent, but the sooner the better IMO. Wet it down first.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here