Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jefsboys

Re-skim old plaster - too thin in places.

jefsboys
13 years ago

Hello,

I am renovating a house I just bought for my family. It is a wonderful 2.5 story built in 1904.

We are working on the bathroom now and here is where I am....

We stripped the wall paper in the bathroom and found severely chipped and flaking paint. After 20-30 hours of scraping paint to the original plaster I decided to re-skim the walls.

I got Red Top Gauging Plaster. I mixed it up for the sand float finish. After some finishing test in the closet I see that they probably used a wood float originally in the house so that is what I am using.

To the issue... I did my first wall tonight with the skim coat and floated it out with the wood float, now I see that I was thin in a couple of small areas. The Red Top calls to be a 1/16" thick and doubled back over with pressure. I have some smaller areas where I can see the through to the old plaster.

Is this going to cause a problem with plaster falling off or if the texuture is good enough do you think I would be ok with letting this dry and then going through the priming/painting process?

I don't mind doing a second coat on the wall but if it is not necessary then I won't. If a second coat how long would I wait before applying it?...

Thank you in advance,

Jeffrey

Comments (4)