Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom reno and smell - Can we get rid of it

Posted by kimmieb (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 22:25

We are in the process of gutting our guest bathroom in a 1950s ranch. When we started the demo i. e. taking the tile off the walls and the wallboard, there is a really strong "old" smell. 3/4 of our house is from 1953. Is there a way to eliminate that smell that seems to be coming from inside the walls. You know that grandma's house musty smell. Just looking for suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom reno and smell - Can we get rid of it

Use zinnser BIN primer sealer. If you Google you can read reports that it covers even cat odor ! I have had friends that used it and they say it is great. Also I saw a reference on GW to a thread that said be sure and use ammonia to wash the wood 1st , if you are going to wash it. Also clean up for BIN is ammonia...use GOOD ventilation with these products ! c

o
RE: Bathroom reno and smell - Can we get rid of it

Make sure there is no water damage or rotting wood. We once bought a house that had a bathroom with a certain *smell*. Once we started gutting it, we realized that the PO tiled right over the rot around the toilet.
And, now we're in a house where we just redid the kitchen. But prior to re-doing it, I kept telling my husband that I couldn't stand the smell of the tap water. He kept saying *what smell?* Long story short, the old cast iron plumbing was so filled with yucky stuff, that it made the kitchen smell. Replaced pipes, no more smell.
So, before you do any finish work, investigate behind the walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here