Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life of Cedar Sidings

Posted by sethramesh (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 22:07

What is the life of Cedar siding?

I am looking to buy a home that has 30 year old Cedar sidings. The sidings look light bluish in color, never stained or painted and the owner tells me that the cedar changes color naturally. I notice some bulge/cracks at some places

I was wondering whether I need to replace the siding. What is a typical life of the cedar? The house located 100 feet from a lake. Any one knows Sq. foot rate for Cedar or hardi plank siding?

Your info is appreciated

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life of Cedar Sidings

We used cedar siding.We built a barn about 25 years ago its still looks great.We used a transparent colored stain,rhat still looks good.It is expensive...We now have it on 2 other buildings for 13 years same thing no problems.also we liked the rough side of board.

o

There are some cabins at the Grand Canyon with 100-year old siding.

o

My house was built in 1952 and has the original cedar siding in perfect condition...and I live in rainy Seattle.
An addition we did in 1979 also has cedar siding and no overhangs to protect it: it looks fine. The main problem with cedar siding is that the new stuff is not as high quality growth as the old. Yours should be fine if it gets taken care of (i.e., stained or painted as the case may be).

o

All cedar is not created equal. Older cedar was often thicker.

By the time the siding on our home was 30 years old almost half of the siding needed to be replaced. We lived 2 blocks from a coastal area and had driving wind and sideways rain. It had been applied with finishing nails, so as the boards warped the nail went into the board and left it exposed inside to the elements. The 20 hour a day sun during the summer was very hard on it.

The two sides of the house not so exposed to the elements had a much better lifespan.

Replacing with clear cut rather than with knots was very expensive.

Just because it is 30 years old doesn't mean it won't be in good shape. Have the cracks checked to see if water damage has occurred. Are they well attached to the house? It may be only certain areas need repair and those will end up with the natural color within a couple of years.

Gloria

o

Our big old Victorian was buildt in 1883, and still has the original cedar siding. When it was stripped down and painted last year it still looked "new" under the paint, and believe it or not, still had that cedar fragrance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here