Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

historic floor plan info

Saypoint zone 6 CT
11 years ago

My 1837 colonial underwent extensive changes in the mid- and late 1800s. The original two story brick georgian had four rooms downstairs and four rooms up, as far as I can tell. There were three or four chimneys: One at each gable end with FPs up and downstairs, one at the rear to the right of center (facing the house from outside)for the kitchen and bedroom above, and there are the remains of a hearth on the right side wall also right of center, but the chimney may have been removed when an addition was put on in that area. This would have served the right-rear room and the room above, now part of the master bath.

The second owner added three one-story wings on the sides and rear, knocking out large sections of the original exterior walls to combine old and new spaces, rather than just putting doorways between them. They also added two new chimneys for coal FPs to heat the newly created larger rooms.

The interior stairway was also relocated, I believe. There are the remains of a tiny hall between the front and rear rooms near the right hand exterior wall that looks like it might have been the base of a narrow stairway to the second floor. The suspected original stair space is under the current stairs, but facing the opposite direction, and has been blocked off to create a small wet bar area.

The house looks like it may have had a door in the center front that is now a window, and the two front rooms have been combined into one large room that runs the length of the house. I suspect there might have been a center hall in this area based on some seams in the wood floor.

A few years back we looked at a couple of antique center hall colonials that had this sort of narrow stairway sandwiched between front parlor and rear room. I remember seeing a floorplan that had this arrangement in a library book many years ago, but haven't been able to find it again.

Does anyone have a plan for a modest two story colonial that essentially has four rooms over four rooms with chimneys at each gable end and a stairway between a front and rear room? I'm trying to figure out what the original house would have been like.

thanks

Jo

Comments (2)