Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Colonial style door latches

Posted by TwistedERanch (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 21:51

I am looking for those old fashioned colonial style door latches to use on new doors rather than knobs. I've seen pictures, so I know they are out there, I'm just not sure exactly what they are called. A gate hinge is the closest thing I can find. I have been searching for thumb latch, but I'm striking out. Does anyone know what I am referring to, or does anyone know where I might locate these? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Colonial style door latches

I know what you are talking about. My dad's uncle had them on every door of his house except the front and back door.
I believe he had them specially made by a black smith. I'd ask him but the poor man died several years ago.

RE: Colonial style door latches

Twisted, it's amazing what a google search can turn up with the right wording, i.e.: 'door thumb latch'. :)
Here is an entry from my very first page of results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thumb latches

RE: Colonial style door latches

Check with Ball & Ball. Expensive, but beautiful reproductions.

RE: Colonial style door latches

Thanks, antiquesilver they *do* have nice stuff! Columbusguy, I have searched bing several different ways to try to find what I am looking for. I guess I really don't know exactly what they look like dissassembled. Maybe that is why I'm having such a hard time. I want a latch that operates from both sides, I see thumb latches and gate latches, but have only come across one that is operable from both sides.

RE: Colonial style door latches

Here is another link--this may be closer to what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passage Door Latch

RE: Colonial style door latches

In addition to suffolk/thumb latches, there's a lesser-seen latch that uses knobs but isn't any kind of box lock, because it's earlier, and all the works are flat metal exposed on one side of the door. I found a set of them on ebay to give an idea what they look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay; earliest knob latches

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here