Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
pocket hole in lath and plaster

Posted by locust_house (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 21:00

I really messed up!

I decided to replace the old recessed TP holder in my bathroom with a new one. After removing the old one I realized that the hole in the lath and plaster wall would be too small for the new holder.

Using the provided paper template and a borrowed jigsaw, I drilled holes in the three new corners and then proceeded to use about 10 saw blades to cut through plastic tiles, top-coat and then the lath and plaster (each blade lasted about 1.5" inches before getting ground down by the ancient plaster).

Well, at the end of all this, I have a larger opening but I didn't stick to the template perfectly and the opening is still about 1/8 inch too narrow.

I tried using the jigsaw to cut a thin strip off one side, but it just mangles the plastic tiles and throws chunks of plaster. I also just can't control the saw very well on such a thin cut. I'm afraid I'm going to lose a finger!

How am I going to get this hole just a little bit wider?

I don't know what to do. Any ideas? TYIA.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

Do you have a Rotozip with the Zipmate attachment? I have used that with a metal cut-off wheel to cut through plaster. I use the metal wheel since it is thinner than the masonry wheel. It seems to work pretty good. I then use a jig saw or a wood zip bit to cut through the wood lathes.

Someone may have a better idea than this, but this has worked for me really well putting outlet boxes in plaster walls. I don't like to use the plaster bits that they sell for the Rotozip. They seem to overheat and they don't cut through wood very good at all.


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

I don't have a rotozip but maybe I could borrow one. Does it work sort of like a dremel tool?

I was trying to do cheap fixes to the bathroom (re-painting the painted-over plastic tiles, new towel racks) but as usual that was a silly notion!

Thanks for your response. I like the idea of working my way through the layers. :)


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

"I don't have a rotozip but maybe I could borrow one. Does it work sort of like a dremel tool?"

It is a dremel tool on steroids, with a depth adjustment.

It will go through the plaster easily, then you can cut the wood lathe.

The zip tool can also cut wood, but you have to move at the correct cutting speed to avoid burning up the bits.

Be careful cutting the lath to not break the 'keys' (where the plaster sticks through the gaps in the lathe) holding the plaster to the lath.


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

How about using an old fashioned rasp, since the amount of material you have to remove now is so small? I've seen my DH do that sometimes (although we didn't have to deal with the plastic tile). It would be slow, but could be very incremental. You sure wouldn't want to remove too much and have the hole be too big!


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

Thanks for all the tips. I'll look into the rotozip.

BTW, the plaster is mixed with sand I think. It's a lot like cement! At one point I found it easier to knock out a stubborn chunk with a hammer than to saw it. I have a newfound appreciation for the durability of these old walls!

Kim, I actually tried a rasp but since the lath has been cut it's unstable and moved, and the plastic tiles responded by chipping unevenly. But it did seem like something worth trying.

This is the most frustrating 1/8" I've ever encountered!


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

4" grinder is terrific for this kind of cut; terrifically dusty, too.
Casey


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

"4" grinder is terrific for this kind of cut..."

Just not for the inexperienced when it grabs and kicks back.


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

Adjective "terrific" cuts both ways!
Casey


 o
RE: pocket hole in lath and plaster

I was too scared of the grinder, so went with the Rotozip which cut through the plastic tiles OK, but got really gummed up with the adhesive under the tiles and actually sparked in the plaster (flecks of sand?). Ended up chipping away the plaster with the claw of a hammer and then going back to the jigsaw for the lath (the rotozip seemed to be burning it).

Anyway, the deed was done. Thanks everyone for your advice!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here