Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing dirt from Crawl space

Posted by sethramesh (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 20:47

We looked at a house part of it had Crawl space appx 500 sq.feet,. Actually we could walk in to this space (10 feet high ceiling for a width of around 3 feet). Rest of the crawl space has large pile of dirt.

My question is

Can I remove the dirt from rest of the Crawl space, so that I can walk in to it and do some work on the joists (Like putting up an additional beam?). What about pouring concrete in to the floor? this will make the space usable

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing dirt from Crawl space

Are saying there is full ten foot foundation wall and you can walk around the outside of the space? If that is true and there are no supports resting on the dirt then I would be digging it out and make basement space. Dig it. Put in drainage. Put in stone. Pour concrete floor.

o

Actually it is 8 feet wall made of sintered cement blocks and not 10 feet.

To answer your question:

Yes; it looks like 8 feet wall made of sintered cement blocks. But you cant see the wall outside since there is dirt on three sides.

Your question made me think again; Inside the crawl space, One side I could see 8 feet of wall, but I am not sure of the rest of two sides

o

Get a structural engineer to look at your house. The dirt in the crawlspace may be important to the structural integrity of the foundation.

It may work out. Our old stone house had a concrete floor poured long after the basement was made.

o

Maybe they planned for a full basement but hit ledge on one side so they just left it as a crawl space.
I think the the engineer report is good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here