Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
awning for an old house

Posted by f4grrrl (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 20:45

we have craftsman(ish) house in Orlando, FL (1948). The original front porch was enclosed, so you enter the house open to the elements. We would like to add an awning, perhap one made of wood with an aluminum roof and brackets, but if we can't figure out how to do that we will order a canvas one and install it. Anyone have pictures or advice for adding an awning? and if you suggest the canvas style, what color should we use? Here is a link to a picture:

http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~gharmon/house.JPG

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Gina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: awning for an old house

I think a canvas awning would look cool, and even better as it ages and the canvas starts to fade. I am guessing that canvas might only last 2 or 3 years due to exposure to sun and weather. So I can understand why you might want to use aluminum instead.

o

Green is the color I always associate with old time canvas awnings. A burgundyish color would go nicely with your house too.

o

Definitely check into the options at a custom awning place -- retractable or fixed. I'm in CA and every place we checked uses Sunbrella, which isn't supposed to fade. We had fixed awnings made for our old house about five years ago and they still look great. It really made a huge difference in the "curb appeal" -- and shade in the summer.

For your place, you might look into a striped canvas so as to leave yourself (and successive owners) some leeway if you ever decide to repaint. There are SO many choices...

How fun to choose, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunbrella canvas choices

o

My husband built the frames for my awnings and I covered them with canvas in burgundy, cream and green striped print. Our home is a work in progress, as we have taken an old schoolhouse and made it into our home. 50'x50' The decking will be the next project that we will tackle, then the yard work after that. The inside has been redone in antiques and we salvaged everything that was left in the school. I love the awnings and found them to be an inexpensive way to achieve the look I wanted. Ours are placed over the 2 garden doors we installed. Sorry, I didn't have a close up pic. Took less than 1 hour to cover each of the frames once they were done. Three long bolts along the top inside frame to hold mount it to the outside wall. Cost? PENNIES!

Awning pic - http://i1.tinypic.com/244r88m.jpg

Good Luck!
Deborah

o

You should look into the various types of awnings available such as plastic vs. metals and fabric retractable awnings. LInk to good guide here.

Here is a link that might be useful: patio cover and awning

o

Deborah, your picture isn't showing (for me anyway) I would love to see it!

o

blufish, keep in mind that the original post was made in 2006.

o

There is definitely a better type of awning to put on a craftsman/bungalo design. I can't get the pics to load but go to this site and see what they have or sale. They would look great and last a heck of a lot longer than a canvas awning. I hope this helps!

silverstarresidential.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Awnings/Canopies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here