Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace uncovered!!

Posted by tinker_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 20:44

now what? LOL

Previous owner at some point (1970-1980's) removed the mantel, and covered up the original 1937 limestone fireplace. (stupid, stupid, stupid!) They also bricked in the side heat vents.. not sure if it was because of a problem, or just to seal them with the granite.

The limestone matched the winding path to the front of the home, which was charming, but because of 80 years of wear and tear, we need to replace it - it is dangerous as is, and can't be restored without costing dearly! We are going to make the parking pad and walkway using old Chicago reclaimed bricks.

Should we try and reface the limestone with the same type of brick? Stone, or something else? Any thoughts or ideas will help!

BEFORE

From Drop Box

Uncovered and exposed!

From Drop Box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace uncovered!!

No suggestions but interested in the responses. Our fireplace was completely behind a plaster wall. It's on a long list of projects but I'm not thinking about it yet. I'm also interested in your walkway project - I'm hoping to do a similar project next year with reclaimed bricks from the old police stable torn down in the 50's.

o

That's beautiful.

o

It's so cool - & how exciting to discover it! Good for you! Given the choice, the brick is preferable to the granite. :-)
Wish I could help - but all I can offer is encouragement & ENVY.

o

Not sure I am getting this. They enclosed the second pic( brick) with the first( granite)?? What does the walkway have to do with it all?

o

Christopher, yes, they covered the original (photo #2) with the granite in photo #1. The original limestone is damaged by the granite they installed, so I need to reface it. The walk-way has to do with decorating.. you know, joining the outside with the in - making it cohesive, if you will. That actually what they also did back in 1937.. the walkways was the old limestone.

Chimney inspector is coming Friday.. so I'll know more than!

I also stripped the brick in one of the other fireplaces... came out better than I thought!

From Sunrise - work in progress

o

Very cool, I love the look of the original fireplace!

o

"Should we try and reface the limestone with the same type of brick? Stone, or something else? Any thoughts or ideas will help! "

Personally, I think you should restore it with a similar limestone. You often don't get such a clear display of what a home looked like originally, so I would take that and run with it.

o

bill, yikes.. maybe we should have thought more on restoring it, and unfortunately - the contractors smashed and removed the hearth! That is now gone!

o

Tinker- If the limestone had been in better shape and you still had the hearth, I could see tying it in with the walk. Now, I'd either do the brick (to match the other fireplace) or pick another finish that will look good with your room. What style do you like and what are you trying to do with the home? Are you thinking more cottage/casual or something more traditional and a little more elegant? Here's you chance to do what YOU want with the fireplace, so enjoy it :)

o

The walk-way has to do with decorating.. you know, joining the outside with the in - making it cohesive, if you will. That actually what they also did back in 1937.. the walkways was the old limestone.

Got it. My home is the same way.Limestone walkways match the exterior, unfortunatly they did not bring it in to the fireplace, they put a piece of ugly white marble there instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here