Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neo-Mansard update

Posted by cbhillwood (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:59

Hello! We're interested in purchasing this house; however, we're both not huge fans of the outside of this 1970s Neo-Mansard style home. What can be done to improve the looks of the outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neo-Mansard update

Roof is too dark to suit me, should be more neutral or at least in beige/brown tones, would shutters on sides of 2 downstairs windows help maybe with dark trim to match roof but might be too much. Is it really charcoal roof or is it photo? Looks like landscaping is 1 bush and
grass, maybe look could be softened with plants.

o

Trees! Tall evergreens.

And it almost needs ivy, although I wouldn't recommend anyone actually planting ivy, but a climber of some sort (on a trellis perhaps) would be so very suitable.

It's not a BAD '70s Mansard roofed house. It's just lonely. You need to downplay the driveway side and dress up the windowed side which is actually kind of cool. The garage door should be painted a more blendy color and the front door should be more "welcome to my glamorous home"ey.

I'd visit the landscaping forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/design/

o

If the roof needs replacing, a standing seam metal roof seems a bit more common an option on mansard than other roofs, in my area.

I think landscaping would help a lot.

o

I think painting the siding around the windows and above the garage door in a softer color closer to the brick color would help, too. And maybe changing the garage doors -- those "windows" look a little too much like the NBC peacock. The front door could use a good strong color to emphasize it.

o

just needs curb appeal.. so much could be done to emphasize the entry and draw attention to those cool windows... it has lots of nice details, just needs dressed to impress... I think i'd change the garage doors to echo the windows, maybe. Photo taken from that angle gives most emphasis to the garage... landscaping would still draw the eye to the more interesting features... don't cross it off unless you absolutely hate the look of it, it is a gem that just needs a little trim and some polish. If you do buy it I would love to see what you do with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here