Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fir floors refinishing

Posted by suz16 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 19:32

I am having my floors refinished this week. The house is a 1905 American Foursquare. You can see into every room from the middle hall. All the floors seem to have been refinished at one time and not well. There are some spacing issues, nails bleeding through and marks made by a runaway sander. So, floors are already thin. The back room and living room may have been carpeted. They don't look as worn as the dining room and hall which have water damage and traffic marks especially in the doorways. I don't love the color of the back room and living room which is kind of a pinky orangy hue, but I think I can learn to live with it. I would like to just have the two worst floors refinished. Is this a mistake? The dining room has full length fir boards which are worth trying to save, I believe. The floor man wants to use 3 coats of oil polyurethane, in satin finish. Will this look matte or have a sheen to it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fir floors refinishing

This is where you really need to trust the judgement of your floor man. I hope you've seen his work in old homes and verified his references. I think the modern water based polyurethanes are superior to the oil, but that's just me.

o
RE: Fir floors refinishing

I re-posted my query on the flooring site, and added some pics.
This flooring guy is one of my heros since he rescued someone I know from a disreputable contractor, and did a beautiful job. The contractor tore out a floor in their condo and left them in a homeless situation for three months, because he used such flimsy materials that the floor was unsafe to walk on. The sanding, staining and first coat of poly was done today. After the sanding, it looked great and I wished I had done all the floors, but after the poly it didn't look all that much different from before. I could only see it partially of course, since it's roped off. Well, at least I bought the floor some more time. I hope I look that good at 109, and someone appreciates me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here