Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine suckers on aluminum siding

Posted by taylorsway (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 18:30

I have vines covering a section of aluminum siding on a south facing exterior wall of the house. I am considering
eliminating the vines but realise that the vine suckers
that secure themselves to the aluminum will remain and leave an unattractive appearance. Apart from scraping these off and thus wrecking the paint on the aluminum is there any other known way to remove these....??? Any
suggetions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine suckers on aluminum siding

Bye...

o

A pressure washer, but be sure to stay parallel to the surface as much as possible.

A pressure washer can strip the paint off the aluminum if not used carefully.

o

If your siding is over the original surface of the house, and you use water, you'll risk getting water under the siding which could promote rot in the original finish. Because of that, I'd avoid a pressure washer. Unfortunately, I think a ladder, hand brush and elbow grease is going to be the safest way to get this stuff off.

o

A good commercial degreaser and elbow grease. A brush on an extension pole works well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here