Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does your neighborhood have an association?

Posted by happycthulhu (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 18:13

Our historic district is trying to revive the Association.
We are trying to save our historic firehouse from being shut down and consolidated with a firehouse about 3 miles from our neighborhood.
That's just one thing that they want to work on.
Keeping McMansions out and making our township wet again are a couple of other things.

We haven't had a meeting yet, but we just had a meet and greet last night and it was great.
Lot's of people and good food.
I even got to slide down the fire pole. WEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :P

If you have an association, what kinds of things do you work on for the sake of the neighborhood.
Do you have a set of rules? (if so, could you provide some examples for me?)
Have you been successful?
Any internal conflicts?

I want to help make this something good, not just another do nothing follow the rules group.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does your neighborhood have an association?

At the very local level there are many Block Clubs in our area, and there's a larger Historic Preservation group and also the Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ). My husband is the current president of our particular Block Club. It involves an area about 9 blocks square, and tends to focus on safety, crime, restoration and beautification issues with a lot of socializing mixed in. We are a non-profit organization. The website DH created for it actually includes a lot of information about the larger area.

The HPOZ includes an area about 3 times the size of the block club, and focuses exclusively on individual building's restorations/remodelings. Here's its part of the general city website: http://www.preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/adams-normandie

The local Historic Preservation group, the West Adams Heritage Association, is a much bigger organization, with hundreds of members. It's been active since its founding 25 years ago in saving many historic buildings, creating a network of people who live here, it has a great newsletter, it pressures the city when necessary, etc. It also is a non profit. It hosts large tours 3 times a year. I was on the Board of Directors for about 6 years.

http://www.westadamsheritage.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 (My husband also created this website.)

All 3 groups have by laws and rules, but aren't dehumanized by them. And sure, there have been internal conflicts, some pretty messy. You can't have any group of humans without some conflict! But our need for what these groups accomplish is great enough to be able to overcome just about anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Block Club

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here