Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of house do I have? (pic)

Posted by phantom_gardner (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 18:02

Hello,
I am new to this site and decided to come out of my shell and start posting. I bought my first house last year and it is an old one (not as old as some of y'all s but old none the less).
It has been a rent house for 20+ years and through some miracle non of the original trim work (except in the kitchen and bathroom) have been painted. Any-who, needless to say I have a bunch of work ahead of me, that's part of the fun. I am not exactly sure when it was built, mid to late 30's is my guess but I am working on finding the exact date. I have been told many things about this house and the things i find keep adding to the interest. Thank you for your time

Here is a link that might be useful: my house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of house do I have? (pic)

It is a bungaloid house. Good piece of luck on the unpainted trim.
Casey

o

Is it a craftsman bungalow? what style of bungalow?

o

Bungalows come in a zillion styles. They are small usually modest homes with features from the arts and crafts movement which was at its peak around 1910-1925. Your house clearly has some of these features such as the heavy pillars "rooting" it to the ground, overhanging eaves, etc. There are lots and lots of books out there for you to do research on bungalows. You might start with those by Paul Duchscherer.

o

The English Arts & Crafts Movement took on a very different quality and appearance in America and was generally called Craftsman after Stickley's The Craftsman Magazine in which he published many house designs by many designers.

Any small house with a covered front porch can be called a bungalow so it's more of a building type than an architectural style.

o

Doesn't your abstract tell you when the house was built?
Linda C

o

A quite attractive house, I suggest. Not to be critical, but I think it would be even more so if you lost that center post. It's distracting or something. Other than that it's very attractive and, to me, quite unique. Hope the inside is as nice.
Do some drawings with regard to that center post - I'm not sure, but maybe just a connecting banister between the two supporting posts would clean up the lines enough.

o

I have wondered about the middle post but I kind of like it because I like to have potted plants. Right now I am trying to figure out what color to pain my house. I don't want something that is common and bland I want something that is vibrant and pops without being crazy(pink or anything neon) I am still not sure so if anyone has any ideas with pics I would really appreciate it.

o

I'd suggest the book I've linked to below

There are also tons of pictures at this section of www.ambungalow.com

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hewn/pool/

The color schemes I've seen most often on stucco bungalows are those based around "earth" colors....greens, rusts, browns, beiges. Go with the colors you see in nature and you won't go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schweitzer Bungalow Colors

o

I like the center post. I think with some lush foliage in front of the house it will look nice. You can put a small grid against the center post and grow some vine up it.

As for house colors- I would try whatever strikes your fancy. It would look nice in a variety of colors.

o

This site - at about.com was helpful to me.

http://architecture.about.com/od/housestyles/tp/housestylesindex.htm

Your house was built, I think, about 1936. It was wood
frame and wood exterior I think and later stucco'd.

It's a bit of this and a bit of that. It has 3 styles and
I'd only embarass myself if I tried to say which ones
they are.

Here's my embarassment showing: I've not looked
these up and I'm no expert. I'm working from some
memory of the About.com site when I was there 3 months
ago.
It appears to have some Greek revival theme (minor)
(the columns)

It appears to have some Bungalow style (the squat look)

It appears to have a bit of Arts and Crafts (The roof style
and the window placement)

It might have it's own category. If not then it's a bit
of several styles.

There are some of those in Fresno, CA. And they are
located in some very nice neighborhoods mixed with
other very pretty homes.

Suggestion. Once you get some idea of what you have
type it into Google Images and look at the photos on
each page to find 'your house' . Then go read about
what's on that page where you found the image.

Tell us what it is.

Good luck
Andre

Here is a link that might be useful: About housing styles about.com

o

As of right now I am content to say my house is a craftsman style or "Arts and Craft" style bungalow. I have gone through alot of pictures and so far I am comfortable with saying that. the following links show some of the things I am talking about. There are alot of craftsman stlye bungalows that have the column that does not support any thing like mine and the roof style. I am open to discussion about this as I am new to this whole thing and if wrong would like to be righted. thank you all for the help so far and gardurnit for a great link.

here is a link to a great slide show of houses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-bungalow/sets/72157603353402812/show/

http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/achomes/bungalowhomes.shtml

http://www.villagegardenslincoln.com/The_Homes/Home_Styles/Bungalow.htm

o

Ah, I see what tryinbrian means about the center post - it kind of looks like it had a whole pillar, the top half of which may have crumbled. Provided it's not structurally necessary, it could go as it looks sort of out of place. However, I can envision some wonderful trailing plants draping off of it, masquerading the post itself.

o

There's a heavy splash of Spanish Revival style in there too, what with the stucco and your location. A brighter exterior color would be perfectly in tune with that aesthetic. Google 'Spanish Revival' for lots of interior design and color ideas.

o

Hi Phantom Gardner,
I think your assessment is pretty good. I agree that your center column has not "crumbled", but that it was likely that way from the beginning. I like your idea of putting a georgous potted plant on it! I too wonder if the house was always stuccoed... but it hardly matters. You have a great house. I have a 1913 bungalow, but mine is a real transitonal house, with flared rafters (like a chinese hat) and queen anne shingles in the gable! You know, there are those houses that epitomize a style and those that were originally built as a mish mash. Thanks for the links, too. I enjoyed looking at those. Stay in touch with us here, as you work on your old home. I'll be interested to watch what you do! -Kim

o

Phantom Gardener, if you live in a part of the country where kit houses were built before WWII and you are not too far from a railway line, it may be worth your while to scan catalog images to see whether your very cool house may be a Sears kit home. If so, it may have been altered since originally built, but you are likely to recognize something.

Tapered porch piers were common with several Sears models over about 20 years. Most porches had two piers but some had three. Indeed, the decrepit charmer that is catapulting me into bankruptcy is a Sears four-square with a funky three-pier porch stuck on the front. Alas, the woodwork has been painted, but the house is largely pristine otherwise, and the 85-year=old cypress siding only needs to be scraped and painted.

Each of these houses arrived in a zillion pieces (only cement and bricks were not included) on two freight cars, with a 75-page instruction book. Most people did most of the work themselves, so the houses tend to be well put together.

In any case, I envy your woodwork and wish you well both in your restoration and your research.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears kit house archives

o
Corrected link for 'what kind of house...'

Sorry. Trying again with the link, this time to the 1927-1932 models rather than the whole thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears kit house archives

o

What is funny about my house and there is I think only one other house like it in my city, the fact that it sits almost a full 6ft off of the ground on one side. (the property slopes slightly). So the house looks like it is a 2 story and in fact it is a one that could be made into a 1 and a half (when I win the lotto). Above the first floor is a patch of stucco on one side of the house and it makes me believe that the stucco is original. I will try to get out and get some pics of the house this week and let everyone see from all sides. Since the house sits so high off of the ground it seems harder to find a picture of one just (or close enough) like it. But I did hear that there was a house just like mine out in the county somewhere. I am thinking I will be taking a road trip pretty soon to look for it. Thanks honorbiltkit for the link now I have something to do on my down time at work.

o

Supercute house. Have fun with it.
kathy

o

As you have figured out, it is indeed an Arts&Crafts style bungalow. I too am a proud owner of a 1925 wood-siding (not stucco) bungalow.

The part of the country you are located also can determine the style of bungalows built. While some refer to all small homes with a porch as a 'bungalow', that is really not the case. The interior details and built-ins are key features that determine a bungalow from just another small house, ie: built in china cabinets, bookcases with colonades, etc.

A very definite architectural style defines that look and period and the associate variations of Arts & Crafts style bungalows, ie: Asian style (popular in California), Morrocan style (popular in Florida), etc.

As a new homeowner still learning about your homes character, I would take lots and lots of 'before' photos. Also, read and research before you attack any projects. Some things that I did when I first purchased my home, I wish I had waited and done a bit differently.

Read everything you can on your type/style of bungalow. There are lots of DIY blogs on homeowners who post their challenges and progress too. It's always helpful to learn from observing someone who has done it.

Lucky you on the unpainted trim. I am currently up to my eye-balls in paint stripper!

I wish you years of joy and happiness in your new home!

o

saintpfla
thank you for the info I really appreciate it. i was wondering what king of stripper you are using? Also do you take the trim completely off or do you strip it while still attached to the wall ex: baseboard and windows? thank you again

o

This was my first home and required a bit of 'fixin' up. It's exciting and frightening at the same time. Especially if you buy a house and then realize that you have no 'skills' to speak of. I've learned so much DIYing - made mistakes, yes, but that's how you learn.

Read everything you can and get good quality tools (on sale).You don't 'really' need a DeWalt cordless drill when the Black & Decker will work fine - unless you are in a trade of construction.

The paint stripper I'm using is well known by most home renovators. Peel Away 7 by Drumund. It's well worth the money as it's not cheap but it does last.

I'm stripping them while attached to the wall. With PeelAway 7, you can do that.

My main project is stripping my old painted fireplace. Due to the so many layers of paint and the different kinds, I have to use two products Peel Away 1 and Peel Away 7. It's a very tedious process...dirty process too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here