Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exposing old brick walls - removing plaster - old mortar

Posted by lotsahouses (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 17:54

We are REMOVING SOME OF THE PLASTER from the INNER BRICK WALLS of a 'loft' in an old commercial building we own, built in around 1902. I realize when our building was built, the brick wasn't meant to be exposed, but it just looks so cool, as we all know. We want to take it off in places, then 'feather' the existing plaster over to the brick areas and smooth the places where it meets. We are using a MORTAR HARDENER on the brick, as the mortar itself in many places has turned to sand.

ANYBODY WITH ANY TIPS ON HOW TO DO THIS? Harden old mortar/chip off old plaster/feather the edges?

Thanks - any ideas or tips on tools and techniques from your experience is SO appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exposing old brick walls - removing plaster - old mortar

I definitely do not agree that it "just looks so cool, as we all know". To me, exposed brick screams of being 1970's-80's.

Things to think about....These brick walls weren't built with the intention of being exposed so chances are the mortaring will be sloppy. Plus, by removing the plaster, you will be removing insulation value...thus, higher heating bills. Will the plaster removal result in having to move electric and will it screw up how window and door trim lines up? The brick walls will be dusty so you'll have to seal the brick somehow; however sealing bricks doesn't allow moisture to leave the bricks so you could be inviting more problems if you seal. As you have commented, the original mortar will be crumbly due to it most likely being lime mortar instead of the cement mortar used today. If the mortar is crumbling, it has failed. Repointing is the only PROPER solution.

My tip - don't do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here