Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stipping paint from Batchelder fireplace

Posted by robin6217 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 17:35

Hi,does anyone have a batchelder fireplace or have you seen a design like this? I'm confused because parts of the face of the firplace aren't tile it appears to be just grey concrete like stuff. Was this meant to be painted?
Please help!

Pictures www.flickr.com/photos/21401396@N04/4864416224/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21401396@N04/4864414902/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21401396@N04/4863796295/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stipping paint from Batchelder fireplace

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I am DEEPLY envious of your fireplace! It's beautiful!

o

Thank you! Anyone here with a batchelder fireplace?

o

I wouldn't change a thing. It's stunning.

o

I suggest posting your question and pictures to the forums at oldhouseweb dot com. I think you'll get more response.

o

That's not an unusual treatment for art tile. It allowed for use of the art tile, but was also cost-effective by having the "field" be concrete/stucco. Originally, the concrete/stucco may have been tinted. But, yes, you can paint it. Usually a creamy off-white or beige.

o

If I were you, I would enjoy the tiles placed in the stucco as they are. I'd repaint my walls to better go with the tiles or the stucco, though.

I love Batchelder fireplaces, had one long ago as a kid, don't have one now, but knowing that the Tile Restoration Center in Seattle could recreate me one one day gives me hope for the future.

You have great architectural B. tiles in that fireplace. They do not show very well against mustard colored walls in my opinion, but your tastes are what matter in your home!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here