Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Removing a double-walled kitchen chimney?

artemis78
14 years ago

We have an old double-walled chimney running through the kitchen in our 1915 house, and would like to remove this to make room for more counter and cabinet space. I'm wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, if you have thoughts/advice on this.

We haven't yet opened the wall up to see exactly what the innards look like, but did have the local furnace guys out to take a look, and they presume it is not a "true" chimney, but rather a clay-lined flue covered in plaster. (It has a chimney vent on the top and a large metal belly in the basement.) It is currently used to vent both the furnace and the stove, so we know we will need to run the furnace through a new flue---but because it's a newer furnace (mid-90s, but 80% efficiency and we live in a moderate climate, so no real reason to replace it) we hope it will turn out that they put in smaller metal flues when they installed it---or at least they should have! We will put in a hood for the stove so that's not a concern.

How big a job is demoing this? I've read a lot about taking down brick chimneys and the complications there, but I imagine these are quite different for this type of chimney. The house is just one story so the bulk of the chimney is what's visible in the kitchen.

Thanks!

Comments (3)