Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre made straight stairs 24 years old/carpeting/urine

Posted by jones60 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 16:32

I have two sets of stairs and a landing. Stairs are 6 then landing then 6 or so more. My cat has peed on the carpeting which was a continuation of carpeting for the upstairs. But that was pulled up.. I need to pull the stair carpeting up and put something there on a temporary basis. Actually the stairs underneath look pretty nice. Can I stain them a waterbase color just to seal it and tack on a cheap runner. Is staining okay to do for now then If I get wood floors installed someday the stairs would be done to. So looking for a cheap fix for now after a pull the smelly carpeting up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre made straight stairs 24 years old/carpeting/urine

If the stairs were previously varnished under the carpet, maybe you can just clean the smell off with a strong detergent. If unfinished, I think a sealer is needed to cover the absorbed smells. Shellac is really great a sealing odors, and is more easily removed than varnish or poly, or stain for that matter. You may want to paint the verticals (risers) and stain the treads, that's a classic look, then add the runner.
Casey

o

Sounds good, What sheen of white paint should I use?

o

Sheen; match whatever the other trim in the vicinity is wearing. Semi-gloss is the standard.
Casey

o

Just a thought what about DURA seal water based stain Can that be used?? If hardwood floor stair treads were to be installed at a later date. I doubt it would make a difference what I use. I'm putting this I assume on Pine, or whatever they made prefab stairs in 23 years ago? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here