Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding a stud in an old house

Posted by Diivva (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 16:19

We just moved into a house that is 133 years old and I am trying to hang a pegboard in my office but I can't seem to find a stud. My stud finder continuously says there's electrical behind the wall. The room is on the second floor and I don't know if it was original or added on later . Any advice as to how to hang something without drilling into electrical wiring etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding a stud in an old house

Your stud finder is not set up to deal with plaster and lathe - it's totally confused and babbling. Try a different stud finder.

Or use adhesive hooks like "Command" hooks

Also, look for a thin molding a few inches below the ceiling - if you have it, it's called "picture molding" and you can hang things from it with "picture molding hooks" and not make any holes in the walls ar all.

o

Using a hammer, tap on the walls with the same consistency. You should be able to hear the stud locations. When you get close, use a 1/16" inch bit to confirm. The holes you make are easily filled.

o

The old style magnetic stud finders take more effort but can find the nails in the lath when the electric ones are confused by the density of the plaster and lath.

o

Use your fist. You will hear the difference.

o

Pound a thin nail in every 1/2 inch all across the entire room. I did that at our old house and found all the studs - both of em.

o

To follow up on mxyplx's comment, it is not at all uncommon to find "unusual" stud spacings in really old houses. My own house, the oldest portion of which was built circa 1810, has corner posts and "studs' around the window openings only. This leads to areas close to three and a half feet wide without any vertical framing at all. Since the corner posts are at least a full 6 x 6 inches and the window framing 4 x 4 with 1.5 inch boarding boards on the outside and 1 inch lathing on the interior, it's probably at least as strong as more conventional framing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here