Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Notched Ceiling Beams

Posted by antiquegeek (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 16:10

Hello, all. I found this forum when my husband and I were looking to buy an antique house. We ended up buying our antique and moving in a couple of months ago. We love it!

One of the quirks in our house is that the ceiling beams are notched--does anybody know why ceiling beams would be notched? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Notched Ceiling Beams

Is your house post and beam construction?

o

Yep--it was built circa 1775, though I'm not sure if the ceiling beams may have been notched out at a later date.

o

How big are the notches?

o

About a foot each--I found a photo to post to show what I'm talking about, but can't figure out how to post it--I'll try again when I get home from work.

o

okay, trying to upload a photo:

o

More than likely your 1775 house was built with salvaged timber from an even earlier building, OR it was reconfigured at a later date using timbers from the 1775 structure. Dendro-chronology can date when the wood was cut.

Casey

o

Thank you so much, Casey--I've reached out ot a dendrochronologist in order to find out more about having it tested.

o

Looks like some of those beams might have been repurposed as suggested by Casey. Interesting look, though.

o

Yeah-we walked through several antiques before buying this one and I didn't notice this in any of them. I tried to do a little research online, but didn't find anything, which is how I ventured into this forum.

I found a dendrochronologist who is intersted in taking a sample for her research--once I know more I will definitely update you guys since you were so helpful. Thanks again!

o

Where is your house located? We recently bought a 1780 colonial in NH.

o

Sounds nice, Rafor! We're somewhat close by--we bought on the south shore of Boston.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here