Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating a clapboard house

Posted by mikael3 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 15:19

We have gutted a ca. 1910 house in Atlanta, GA, and we are ready to insulate before hanging drywall. Since we're down to the studs, I want to take the opportunity now to do this right. What bothers me is that when I'm in the house, I feel like I'm in a barn. The pine siding is nailed right to the studs, and even though there aren't many cracks, the air easily blows through all the separations in the wood.

Do I just hang the pink stuff between the studs? Should I use some sort of liner over that siding first? Should I consider sprayed-on insulation? My fear with the sprayed stuff is that it will seep through the siding to the outside.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating a clapboard house

Check the forums at oldhouseweb.com. Insulation has been discussed many times, for all types of homes.

Here is a link that might be useful: oldhouseweb

o
RE: Insulating a clapboard house

Insulation properly installed will take the drafts away.
Installing any type of plastic on the inside of the house will promote mold and mildew.
They didn't have Tyvek when theu built your house.
Additionally blown in cellulous is good too. But since you have the inside wall open, fiberglass would be the way to go.

All the best,

the PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here