Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great storm/screen combos with old house look

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 14:32

I don't mean to sound like a commercial but it took me a very long time to come across these. I want to recommend them to anyone who wants to preserve the old house wood storm window look yet also have a modern triple track storm/screen combination. Marvin's Alpine line is a wood frame with metal storm/screen insert. Just had 12 of them put up on my 1923 bungalow front porch and they look great! Not cheap but not outrageous either. I'm saving for another 12 next year as I work my way around the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great storm/screen combos with old house look

Thank you for this info! We have just been going round and round about windows - replacement vs storms, which ones etc. We just decided to replace the few white vinyl windows on the back of the house with wood interior thermapane and do storms for the others that are original. Great to know this. I know how hard it is to garner information and track old house items down.

o

this info might be just what i need but,i can't seem to find this info on the net.

o

momcat, I remember I tried to research these on the internet, too, and could not find them, even on the Marvin site. However, a local lumber company in my area (St. Paul MN) had one on display and ordered them for me through the Marvin catalog. So you may wish to try one of your lumber or building supply places-or call Marvin. Wish I could upload a picture--they really look just like the old time wood storms from the outside!

o

Thanks to all for a great source of wood storm windows. Already contacted the local dealer.
Can anyone give my a ballpark figure for one of these Marvin Alpine storm windows.
thanks again

o

We had wooden storms made by Adams Architectural in Iowa. Ours are "combination plus" with fixed glass in the upper half and a clip-in panel in the lower half -- screens for the summer and glass for the winter. We had 20 made a couple of years ago and another 9 made this year (just took delivery last week!) and we've been extremely happy with them. They even made a curved top storm for the palladian window in our stairwell.

I hear wonderful things about Marvin products, but it's good to have options, yes?

o

I love Adams windows!!! We live very close (5 miles) from their factory. Their windows are wonderful and we have storm windows and doors from there.

But comparing Marvin to Adams is almost impossible. Adams makes an all wooden window. We did a price comparison and Adams was twice the price. I haven't done anything yet with replacing the window. I have to decide which way to go.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here