Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Original Fir discovered!

Posted by susanne283 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 14:31

Longtime lurker....We moved into our 1930's colonial about 15months ago. Throughout the entire house are gorgeous original fir floors. The kitchen however was light colored pergo over old linoleum. Of course I have been obsessing over whether there was hardwood under it all. So with a space of time between the removal of one fridge and the delivery of another, we decided it was time to break out the sawzall. Didn't take too much time to figure out that indeed, they were under there. Today the layers got ripped out. There is some damage, but they look great. Can't wait til they are finished.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Original Fir discovered!

Susanne, only people living in old houses can understand how darned exciting that is, lol. (The "pot of gold under the carpet" syndrome?). :-)

Congrats on your discovery! Do you have any pictures? I, for one, love to see everyone's pics - many here, do. (I might be "snoopier" than most - in a good-natured way, tho.).

Welcome - I'm looking forward to hearing more.

o

I will absolutely post photo's when it is finished...for now I will post before picture of the horrible transition between the hall and our kitchen...Thanks for understanding my excitement!

Here is a link that might be useful: Before....

o

Just be sure it is actually fir that blends in with the rest of the house. In a lot of these homes, they put good hard wood in the living areas and pine in the kitchen, for some reason which was explained to me but I forget.

o

Oh I hope it is fir! I have oak throughout the living areas, but fir in the kitchen so with this kitchen remodel I am pulling up the old fir and replacing it with oak. But, I've seen the old fir, and its not pretty and not enough of it to salvage.

In my area there are lots of "reclaimed" hardwoods being sold now. If you have a spot that is not in great shape, check that out in your area to see if you can weave some in. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here