Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone have a breeze way to their garage?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I'm thinking about connecting the farmhoue to the garage, with a breeze way. Does anyone have this, with their home? Any pictures or ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (22)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

My suggestion would be to go to google.com and type in the words "breezeway to garage" and then click on Images.

You can do this any time you want picture ideas.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

That's a good idea. (Googling) We may have to have a breezeway because of zoning when we build our new garage.
    Kathy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, why didn't I think of that :)

Actually, I was hoping to get some ideas/suggestions about the breezeway, itself. If anyone has one, is it just a covered walkway, screened, glassed in? I've seen all kinds and I'm wondering how they work IRL. Also, if anyone does have a breezeway (and don't mind sharing a picture) I would like to see how they look on older houses...something a little more authentic to an older home.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

lavendar, our house use to have a breeze way/porch, which they closed in and is now part of the kitchen.

From Drop Box

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If I may suggest, lavender_lass, post a photo (not a sketch) of the side of your house and garage where the proposed breezeway would go. It will give us a sense of the style of your house and will generate some omments on what might work.

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Lavendar, I think for your house, something like an 'orangery' would look great! They were popular from the 18-20th centuries, and you could do a slightly simpler form in one story. They go well with Georgian or Federal styles.

Below is a link to a pic of the one at Wye Plantation...but I googled Orangery and came up with tons of pictures for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orangery

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Colombusguy, your link didn't work for me - maybe because of my device though.

Lavender, I swear - every time you post something, you make me want to start (or get back to & finish) a project!
    But it's a neat idea - for you! I did some searches & also noticed all the different types.

What about (especially if budget is a concern) a covered walkway, with lattice sides? A gravel path, white or river rock, instead of pouring concrete.. Cheaper & pretty - with roses climbing up the sides. Kind of "cottage like".

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Ks, here is the original search link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orangery Pics

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ks- You are describing the exact type of thing I'm looking for...down to the climbing roses! I'd prefer rock or pavers to concrete and lattice would be beautiful. The only reason I'm thinking of screens or maybe storm windows, is to keep the snow out, in the winter...but I think the lattice sounds like a better fit, with our home.

Columbus- Beautiful idea, but much too fancy for my little home...but I would love to have a sunroom (dare I say little orangery) on the front of the garage. It will face southeast and be perfect for starting plants, for the garden.

Tinker- Your house is so cute, even though I know you said it's going to be a lot of work. Thanks for posting the floor plan and I hope things are going well, with your kitchen remodel.

Gray- Good idea, but we're planning to build an addition to the back of the house and the garage with it...so no pictures to post. However, I think Ks described the perfect concept...now off to find pictures. Maybe I should include lattice and climbing rose, when looking for pictures :)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

My in laws had a small closed in breezeway which was really a little room between their house and garage, as well as they entry way from the yard to the back door. It was a totally useless catchall and I think they almost never used it to get from the garage to the house! A friends house when I was a kid had an open one with just a roof. We used to sit in it and play and her mom definitely used it. Just my 2 cents in case any one reading this isn't going the orangery route. I too would like the simple connector, if that is good enough for our zoning.

Kathy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy- You make a good point, but I am concerned that too open will be difficult, when we have 3' of snow on the ground. I don't want a sunroom or greenhouse, but some glass to keep out the snow, but still have the breezeway feel, that Ks was talking about.

Here's the only picture I've found so far, that I really like. The french door grids remind me of lattice and I could easily grow some climbing plants up the sides. It's even got the pavers/stones, rather than cement...although I'd probably have a more cottage-like color, with white trim :)

{{!gwi}}

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Lavender_lass, I love it!

I just had an idea... How about the removable storms at historic homeworks, only with screens instead of plastic?? They could go on in the fall to keep leaves & winter snow out.. & go into storage in spring?

I guess it'd be super-tricky, managing clearance for climbing vines... But there might be a way! Maybe a bit of imaginative framing.

Or, (lol), a sideways roman-shade screen system... Pull it across & hook it, to keep stuff out when needed - then unhook it & stand back when it rolls back up like a REALLY BIG tape measure. (ouch!). Figure that out, patent it - then I can tell everyone I know that I gave you the idea.

• la_koala
    12 years ago

My parents have a breezeway between their Cape Cod house and the garage. The picnic table and benches are there, plus the grill.

It actually *is* a "breeze"-way because it is a good place to get a breeze on one of those hot, humid, air-is-still days.

I don't have a picture handy. They built the house themselves, and the breezeway was part of the original plan. In fact, it was mimic'ing another house in the same neighborhood, which they liked. Ironically, that owner ended up enclosing their breezeway in later years, similar to the photo above.

• rafor
    12 years ago

Here are 2 pics of my breezeway:

The back side of the breezeway has the same door/window configuration.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Great house, Rafor!

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Razor - whoa... That is some house! I've gotta know, how many bedrooms (or apartments, lol) do you have in there? :-) It's beautiful!

• rafor
    12 years ago

Thanks! It's a center entrance colonial built in 1780. We bought it last year. Those pics are actually of the side and back of the house. Here's one of the front:

It has 4 bedrooms upstairs (one we use as a den and it has King's wood panels on all 4 walls (boards that are 2 feet wide that run the length of the room, about 16 feet). They are gorgeous! Also 4 rooms downstairs (the den there my parents use as their bedroom).

This is the first time I've owned such an old house, but you gotta love all the charm and character :)

• rafor
    12 years ago

The best part is every room has a fireplace!!! 8 of them! As if that wasn't enough, a previous owner built one outside off the patio too. There are 2 6 foot high brick arches that are about 8 feet long down in the basement to support all the fireplaces and chimneys. It would make a great place for a Halloween party :) Here's one of them:

• ladyvixen84
    12 years ago

I have a breezeway that attaches my 1900's farmhouse to the garage. I LOVE IT!!! I have pictures, but I dont know how to upload them or post them on here.

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Ladyvixen, do you have the pics on your computer?

If so, download "photobucket" - it's a free tool, & it may turn out to be easier than you think. :-)
    We'd all like to see your photos.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

rafor, beautiful! We once owned a enter hall Georgian colonial... same thing, 8 fireplaces, one in each room! I loved that house.. enjoy yours!

• ladyvixen84
    12 years ago

Lets see if I can get the pictures up :)

{{!gwi}}

This would be the front of the house...just a test lol