Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clawfoot tub weight question

Posted by gail_ish (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 14:26

Hi all,

I also posted this on the bathroom forum, but after I thought since Im dealing with an old house, Id get different insight.

We moved into a 150 year old log house that we are redoing. When we moved, I brought with us an old clawfoot tub. We are putting in a bathroom upstairs (theres only one on the main floor now), but my husband is worried about the weight of the tub + water + people on the floor. The trusses look to be about 3"x8". (Im not at home, so I cant double check). It is very heavy when we bought it, part of the deal was that we move it out of the basement where they had it it took hubby & 2 friends.

My question is: how do we figure out if the floor can handle that weight or not? Is the only way to hire a structural engineer for a consultation?

Many thanks,
Gail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clawfoot tub weight question

Probably - we had a 100 y ear old home with a heavy claw foot tub on the second floor I made good use of. We also parked a waterbed king-size on the second floor and a library.

City Hall Building Permit Office probably can put you in touch with an inspector who will do the calculation for you or give you the name of an engineer who will do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here