Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
accidntltourist

Downspout Runoff - underground option

accidntltourist
11 years ago

Okay, trying to remain flexible as I go along with my gutter run-off project ...

I decided that I could get some ground "infiltration" with this method with one of my two garage downspouts (instead of just shooting it into the alley):

How To Recess Downspouts In About Four Minutes - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnE14wCt1o&feature=related

Took me a lot longer than four minutes they claimed in the video, but here is what I did:

Trenched and laid pipe (painted and attached elbow and cover first)- then, adjusted drain level and buried (see images of what I did below).

First section of 4" pipe is solid; second 10 feet is perforated:

4 in. x 10 ft. HDPE Corrugated Perforated Drain Pipe-4040010 at The Home Depot

Question.

I've been exploring above ground gutter extensions to run water into my yard from my house gutters, but having tried this technique, I think I want to try it with a couple of house downspouts.

I'm really focusing on getting water away from the foundation because it has suffered quite a bit of damage in the past (don't want to go with splash blocks).

What unintended/unforeseen negative consequences might there be?

Would the 4" perforated plastic pipe (small slit openings, not the larger round holes found in the white drain pipes) fill with grass roots to the point it becomes useless as a drain. Wouldn't the large diameter - 4"pipe - be able to keep of with root infiltration? The first 10 foot section of pipe would be solid and then transition to perforated.

Winter time (in Denver; buried maybe 4" deep) freezing up?

I guess I could dig large capacity drain holes and place plastic drain boxes, but I think that's kind of extreme - especially if the above plan will work just about as well.

Thoughts?

thanks

Comments (2)