Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old house front step suggestions?

Posted by paarlberg (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 13:50

We are building a home that I designed to look like a home from late 1800's or early 1900's. I am trying to make the final decision on the front steps and how they should look. This will have to meet code as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to keep with the look of an older home.

This is a view of the porch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old house front step suggestions?

Here is another view of the porch/house

o

i would think you'd want the riser to be brick that matches the house and the tread to be some kind of hard rock.

i'm curious what others think.

great home, by the way!

o

Thanks, we have been working on it since February 2009. Paying as you go takes a lot longer :-(

What should the railing/sides look like? Should I build a flat (height of the porch) side wall, sloping or multi-level?

o

I would go with stone or wood steps.

For the railing, a proper balustrade with rails and balusters is the solution...but keep them as low as possible so it won't look so out of scale as modern alterations do.

Sloping walls as railings are for bungalow-style houses, or shingle style...I don't get that vibe from your design, so it would not look right for the house. Study some period plan books for ideas, you can find some online or from Dover Books.

Are those columns the final size, or the centers for the final ones? They are too skinny for the look you are aiming at.

o

The columns will be 10" (possibly 12") wide , those are only the 6x6 supports.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here