Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Foundation of 80-year old Craftsman

Posted by Java_Man (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 13:24

My sister and B-I-L (who don't use the Internet, hence my post) have a beautiful 80-year old craftsman home which they love. Recent repairs in the basement revealed that the home is supported on a footing wall that is no more than 1 to 2 feet below grade, and AT grade in a few places. Parts of the basement floor are concrete slab, but some are bare earth.

Despite all this, the floors in the house are level and there is no undue settling, sagging, etc. anywhere in the house. They have lavished a lot of care on the home, and the interior is beautifully restored.

They would like to replace the entire foundation with something that is up to modern standards, and while they're at it, to deepen the basement to 8 foot ceilings (from the current 6.5 feet). The house is much higher than the sanitary and storm sewer lines on the street, so while digging a deeper basement would require replacing the sewer and drainage lines, no pumps would be required.

Jacking the house up to add basement headroom is out of the question -- the roof line is at the limit allowed in the neighbourhood. The only way to go is "down". As with the rest of the work they've done on the home, they hope to do most of the work themselves.

Has anyone tackled a foundation replacement job like this? If so, how did you do it? Two plans B-I-L has considered are jacking the entire house up, replacing the foundation, then lowering the house onto the new foundation; or replacing the foundation in sections without jacking the house up. Either way, he plans to replace the exterior walls of the basement and interior supporting walls and posts with walls that are stronger than what he's replacing.

Any comments? What did you do? What would you recommend? (I have already recommended building a new home but they're resolute that they want to save the existing one.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Foundation of 80-year old Craftsman

I think this will prove prohibitively expensive, plus the potential for damage to the structural integrity of their historic home is far greater than leaving it alone; after all, the foundation, while old, seems to be functioning perfectly well.

o

I mostly agree, I'd leave well enough alone leaving the basement as is, but I'd have an engineer inspect the foundation and make suggestions as to what might be needed to make the structure seismically sound. After all, BC may be Canada, but it's still on the "ring of fire".

o

I agree w/ spam. Hiring a structural engineer shouldn't be too expensive. He might tell them forget it, or he might say go ahead. I would think in this case, though, hiring an "expert" would be in order first.

We are considering moving our 115 year old house w/a similar foundation situation (plus lots more). We have gotten an estimate on jacking and moving, and it's not as prohitively expensive as you might think. And, if needed the engineering costs on top are also, in comparison, are also not hugely expensive.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I've printed them out for my sister and B-I-L and they'll be thinking about it . . . .

o

Java_Man -
My BIL is a contractor, and one of the common repairs he does on that era house is jack it up, excavate basement, pour new foundations, lower house onto new foundations, finish the basement.

While this is in process, you can still live in the house ... they extend the service connections and set up a temporary staircase.

o

Thank you! I have really learned a lot on this thread!

Joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here