Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddoh_gw

Paint colors for 1903 Victorian farm house

ddoh
17 years ago

I have recently moved into a farmhouse that was built in 1903. The home was built by 2 brothers who were Victorian House builders. I would like to repaint the house in more traditional colors of the 1903's, but don't know where to begin.

On the first floor we have the "parlor" complete with sliding pocket doors; the bathroom, a living room, a bedroom, pantry, walk in closet, and a huge kitchen with built in drawers, cupboards, and broom closet.

The second floor has 3 bedrooms, 2 storage rooms that have no electricity so can't be bedrooms, and a "dressing" room which connects to the master bedroom.

There is one long hallway that connects all the rooms on the second floor which also needs painted.

Please help me if you can. I love the original woodwork, but these walls are not pretty.

Comments (7)

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

A lot depends on the house itself, the style, size of rooms, exposure, is it sunny or dark in the room?
    There were many different kinds of architectural and decorating looks in the 1890's and into the 1900's, so if you prefer darker colors you'd go one way, lighter ones than another.
    Overall, when I think of "modern" rooms of 1903 I think of flower sprigged wallpaper and soft flowery, fresh colors.

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

I suddenly remembered Bricks and Brass. It's a British site, but still applicable to US homes of certain styles and eras. In Britain, your home would be from the Edwardian era.
    This link should take you to a page about Edwardian colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: bricks and brass

• corgilvr
    17 years ago

This site has some interesting color combinations for a variety of architectural styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: house colors

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

I have a Classic-L Queen Anne farmhouse built in the upper Midwest in 1890. The exterior will be a 5 color combination -- in shades of greens, yellow and reds. I have used the same colors in the interiors --- to varying degrees.

I feel that houses will "speak" to you. I am not a green person --- I've always loved blues and pinks. But this house is "comfortable" in green -- it seems to fit! There is still a blue room and the room doesn't "feel" right.

I know ---- that's probably a little too "Twilight Zone". But read everything you can about your house and houses of that era. And you will find the colors that are right for you.

Corgilvr.......... great site!

Cathy

• gw:theda-blue
    17 years ago

Try looking up the art nouveau style. This was the fashion at the turn of the century, lots of stylized florals and natural colors. Also look up Alphonse Mucha's colored lithographs to get an idea of the popular colors used then. He was the premire artist/decorator of the time and set the fashions. Good luck, this is my favorite time period so if you have any questions just ask. P.S. also look up the arts and crafts movement for home fashions of the 19teen's to 20's. My home is from 1916.

• heatheron40
    17 years ago

Hi guys!
    I'm new here, but my house is old....pre-civil war with a major remodel at the turn of the century.
    Anyway, hit the local historical society, wealth of info there!- We found a 100 year old relative to the house who knows EVERYTHING!
    Check out the nearest university also. We had someone from the Architecture Dept come out- he did it for free- and he told us how to describe our house using correct terminology. That then made the trail easier to find colors, light fixtures and other details that were missing.
    There's my .02. Hope no one minds!
    I agree, live and listen, the house will tell you.
    Heather

• lwehling
    12 years ago

I know this is a good 5 years later, but I was wondering if you still live in this house because it sounds like the exact description of the house I live in. We bought it in 2009. The rooms in the house and the layout is my exact house except the larger room upstairs is a parlor connecting to a smaller bedroom, and the living room is actually a dining room and the downstairs bedroom was never a bedroom but a parlor. They used it as a bedroom after they turned the downstairs bedroom into a bathroom and large gentlemen's closet. Anyways, I hope you get this because even if it is a different house, I would like to know what you decided! We are trying to figure out exterior colors at the moment. As far as I know the house has always been white, but it has such beautiful molding and gingerbread trim that I need ideas on accent colors for a white house.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years