Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources of historic mouldings

Posted by karinl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 13:06

After 20 years of obsessing about preserving every last splinter of original woodwork in our house, I recently discovered that there is a millwork shop in my area that specializes in heritage mouldings, still offering all the wood profiles to be found in our house. Hallelujah! I still wouldn't throw my old stuff away, but discovering this place has allowed us to do projects for which we don't have original moulding to a much better standard.

Some other recent posts illustrate that all over the country, we are trying to match and replace old wood trim, and that the sources aren't so easy to find, but they're out there. So I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread in which sources are listed?

So my big find is Tanex Industries Moulding and Millwork in New Westminster, BC, Canada.

Some specifics that may be the same or different at other shops:
Their mouldings are scaled down just slightly from the originals due to modern lumber dimensions, but the profiles are accurate. And like most millwork shops, they do custom work as well. They work in both fir and MDF. And finally, not everything is in stock all the time; as others have mentioned here, there is a minimum order size or set-up charge if you need something that is not in stock.

KarinL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources of historic mouldings

My source in Portland, OR is McCoy Millwork. Everything I've ever needed for historically accurate moldings for my home. I don't know if they do custom work because I've always found what I needed at their store and online catalog, and you can choose from a number of different woods to fit your budget and style.

o

Stark Lumber, Denver, CO.
Also, vintagewoodworks.com
We've used both of these companies with great suceess for our 1913 bungalow.

o

I have a lumber yard that has been in business since before 1861.

A good lumber yard can run just about any molding you want, the problem is usually the knife setup charge.

You can also create them on a router table yourself, though it may take multiple passes and some other tricks (like a tilting setup for the router).

While I attempt to preserve and re-use old moldings, the labor in this needs to be weighed against the cost of making and using matching new material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here