Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Sources of historic mouldings

karinl
12 years ago

After 20 years of obsessing about preserving every last splinter of original woodwork in our house, I recently discovered that there is a millwork shop in my area that specializes in heritage mouldings, still offering all the wood profiles to be found in our house. Hallelujah! I still wouldn't throw my old stuff away, but discovering this place has allowed us to do projects for which we don't have original moulding to a much better standard.

Some other recent posts illustrate that all over the country, we are trying to match and replace old wood trim, and that the sources aren't so easy to find, but they're out there. So I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread in which sources are listed?

So my big find is Tanex Industries Moulding and Millwork in New Westminster, BC, Canada.

Some specifics that may be the same or different at other shops:

Their mouldings are scaled down just slightly from the originals due to modern lumber dimensions, but the profiles are accurate. And like most millwork shops, they do custom work as well. They work in both fir and MDF. And finally, not everything is in stock all the time; as others have mentioned here, there is a minimum order size or set-up charge if you need something that is not in stock.

KarinL

Comments (3)