Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovesjazzycat

Victorian Fireplace Renovation

lovesjazzycat
15 years ago

Would like to get a fireplace surround and hearth renovated so grandmother's bedroom can be completed. We will not be using the fireplace. Previous owner glued hideous "faux stone" ceramic tile over the original tile on surround. The fireplace was coal-burning, and the original iron insert and summer cover are there. However, PO cut a chunk out of top of iron surround to install a gas heater. PO also removed the tile from the hearth and poured a bigger concrete hearth.

We removed "ugly as sin" heater and the hearth extension when floor refinisher was here. Daughter used Dremel to remove some of new tile from Victorian tile but didn't finish. Tile installer (was here working on bathroom) demonstrated his removal "technique" and knocked out a chunk of Victorian tile along with the ugly tile.

I guess I will have to get rid of all the Victorian tile now and replace it with more antique tile or reproduction tile. Maybe if we could use the Dremel to remove the rest of the new tile, then we could replace just part of the old tile? We will need to get tile for the hearth no matter what we decide to do with the tile surround. Then there's the matter of the iron insert for the summer cover. I don't guess there's any way to get that repaired. I know another one could be purchased.

Have any of you been faced with a situation like this? What did you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)