Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brass 'dust-busters' on the stairs?

Posted by alison (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 12:45

I'm still in tthe honeymoon phase with my 1900 brick 3-story, which seems to be in astonishingly good shape, considering I'm the 13th owner.

When I first looked at the house I noticed these curved triangular brass pieces nailed in the corners of the first floor stairs. The first flight of the first floor staircase has them in both corners of all the steps, the second flight is missing most of them.

I'm assuming these are some sort of amazing labour-saving device for the mod turn-of-the-century housekeeper, to prevent dust from accumulating in the corners of the steps.

Does anyone know what they're called?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brass 'dust-busters' on the stairs?

D'oh! Forgot to post the picture!

o

Yes....stair dust corners

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair Dust Corners

o

Van Dykes has them for a lot less than Rejuvenation, just fyi. $22 or so for 12 corners instead of $5 each.

Here is a link that might be useful: dust corner package of 12 in 3 finishes

o

Perfect in a home built just before the invention of that ubiquitous modern wonder--the electric vacuum cleaner.

(Wonder whatever happened to the gasoline powered vacuum cleaner?)

o

Gasoline powered vaccum cleaner? And I think lugging around a full size cleaner is cumbersome!

Thanks for the id and the links. Mine are the simpler, plain brass (altho' I really like the embossed ones). I doubt I'll be replacing the missing ones any time soon (refinishing the steps is pretty far down the to-do list!) but it's cool to know what they are.

Thanks!

o

The first vacuum cleaners were literally suction bellows with a hose attached. You pumped it with one hand while manipulation the nozzle with the other. another ZOMG moment in the progress of humans.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here