Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inspire Synthetic Slate Roofing

Posted by Danvirsse (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 12:40

Since we were able to find so little feedback from people who had used the various synthetic slate products on their homes, I thought I'd post our experiences now that we've completed the installation of ours.

The product was easy, though time consuming to apply. A power nailer would have sped up the project, but my DH (being quite fanatical) insisted we hand nail. It is definitely more costly than asphalt shingles, and since we didn't have to pay someone to install it, was in our budget. We love the way it looks with the old brick exterior.

Ours shown in the photo is the green/black blend, but they offer both blended and solid colors. If anyone would like more info, I'd be happy to respond.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inspire Synthetic Slate Roofing

tell us more -- how big is your roof? how much did it cost? do you have a picture showing it in the context of the whole house?

o

I don't have a picture of the house with the shingles. I have added another photo that shows the brick and windows (though the trim isn't on them yet). I'll try to get better pictures on the weekend and post them then.

Our roof is 16 square and the bill for the shingles was approx $7500.00. We did the install ourselves.

o

Synthetic slates have a decidedly mixed history, marked by early failures, 50 year warranties soon gone with the companies that manufactured and sold them and even class action suits.

Proper installation seems to be the key.

The ones I have seen have a high sheen that instantly marks them as not the real thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artificial Slate Roofing

o

I like the look of the roof. Well done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here