Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
duct cleaning

Posted by acc0406 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 11:53

My house was built in the 30's since we've owned it we've done some majorly dusty projects including refinishing the floors and remodeling the kitchen - both while the furance was running. Is duct cleaning a good idea or just a gimmick (something the duct cleaning people tell you that you must do)? Will it stir up more dust/bad stuff than it removes? Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: duct cleaning

It's not a gimmick. We've done 2 major projects in our 1918 home and have had the ducts cleaned after each. I saw the crud that was cleaned out and it was worse than any science experiment! Cuts down on subsequent dusting - alot.

o

My folks had it done every year in their house. It made a major difference in their dust levels.

o

Oh definitely do it. Our guy had me take a look down one of them before and after. More than an inche of crud, it was disgusting!

o

It's a good idea to have the ducts cleaned once a year before turning on the furnace, whether or not you've done any work on the house. Especially if anybody has any allergies.

o

We are planning on getting ours done this fall. We were told about once every 5-10 years or so. Once a year seems a bit much unless someone has debilitating allergies. Admittedly, I am no expert, but a good air filter, changed annually, and periodic duct cleaning should be adequate to cut down on dust.

o

Our duct cleaner said the same about the 5 years, or when lots of remodeling had been done. I figure if the one getting paid says that, good enough for me!

o

Does anyone have any info on approximate costs of duct cleaning? I realize it probably varies from region to region, but any ballparks would help me in budgeting for it. Thanks.

o

I just called and got an estimate over the phone. I'm in central IN and was quoted $400 for a 2000 sq' home.

o

We were given an estimate of $475 for 14 ducts and 15$ for each additional duct. We have 16 vents and 3 cold air returns for about 3000 sq ft, so this will total $550. Another company was going to charge about the same. I cannot imagine paying for this every year.

o

Mine was $350 when we first took possession of the home- I couldn't possibly have moved in without it!

This is what came out!!!

o

Wow!

That could be a mastercard commercial. Cost of duct cleaning-$350. Not breathing in this stuff-priceless.

o

As important as it is to clean your ducts periodically, it is also important to use really good filters. We are partial to the FILTRETE product line, which is endorsed by the American Lung Association. They are costly, especially if you go for the top of the line, but they last about 3 months and they really make a big difference in keeping the house clean. The other thing that is important is to use a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter. Without a HEPA filter, some of the smaller particles of dust that you vacuum just get redistributed into the air.

o

Gah! *shuddering* Cearbhaill, that visual made me RUN to the phone to make the appointment. Your name isn't pronounced "hairball" in Gaelic, by any chance, is it? ;-)

Thanks all!

o

Mwah hah hah, circuspeanut... your hairball/Cearbhaill observation is genius! Thanks for the laugh.

Another vote for duct-cleaning here.

I spent $350 to have it done (they were visibly caked with crud), and 8 years later when the house was sold they were still very clean.

Before the cleaning, the house had a subtle but pervasive odor. Afterwards, it was fresh and clean.

o

"Our duct cleaner said the same about the 5 years, or when lots of remodeling had been done. I figure if the one getting paid says that, good enough for me!"

As if someone selling the service would tell you it was a waste of time.

It is rarely useful and mostly a scam.
The stuff they manage to shake loose was usually not going anywhere.

It IS possible to crud up a duct system with remodeling, and it MIGHT be worth trying to clean it at that point.

The system has a filter to protect it from normal dust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here