Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schroads

Window Restoration Companies - Philadelphia

schroads
14 years ago

Hello Everyone:

I am looking for recommendations. We recently (3 months) purchased a home with 28 original double-hung wood windows. They are prairie style of various sizes 8/1, 12/1, 16/1 and 20/1. We love the look of the windows and all but one work (mechanically) fairly well. We are planning on living in the house this winter and seeing how drafty the house is. As long as there are no major drafts or other problems, we hope to hire someone to reglaze, repaint, and weather strip the exterior windows and replace the aluminum storms (from 1980's) with harvey triple track storms.

Our home is outside of Philadelphia in New Jersey and we have been having some trouble lining up window companies or contractors who work on the old wooden windows. Several companies have recommended replacement, but there are a couple of problems. We love the old windows and there is very little structural problems with the windows. A couple need minor wood work in the track, but other than that they are extremely sturdy old growth forest wood. Our house is concrete/stucco and the windows are well set in the 12-15 inch exterior walls of the house. Why mess with something if its not broken?

Does anyone have recommendations for window companies or contractors in the Philadelphia area who restore (fix, reglaze, paint and weatherstrip) old double hung wood windows? I already posted in the Windows forum to cover my bases. Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance.

Comment (1)