Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnuch

greasy wood kitchen cabinets

johnuch
15 years ago

Has anyone an idea what product to use on cabinets that were left to us with cookin gease on them. It looks like also the tops are imbedded tooÂit also smellsÂ......I should say, we just bought the house and I think the person cooked without an exhaust fanÂÂ..thxÂ...any help would greatly be appreciatedÂ

Comments (10)

• jilliferd
    15 years ago

John,

There are a lot of de-greasers on the market that would likely work well on the grease (Greased Lightning, Krud Kutter, TSP, etc.) but may take the finish off the cabinets. A cheaper alternative is ammonia and hot water with a scrub brush and a toothbrush for the corners. Unless the tops of the cabinets are sealed, the grease won't completely come off there. You may have to prime and seal to eliminate the odors.

Good luck with your project.

Jill

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jill, im glad you also pointed out something that i neglected to add to my post. the tops of these cabinets have either pressed wood or wafer bd. and that is where most of it is , and we can't get it out....its like an oil stain penetrated throughout the wood ....i probably should encapsulate as you suggest with primer....but oil or latex? thx

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Spic n Span is toned down TSP (tri sodium phosphate) Start there and work up to TSP.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Paint thinner will quickly remove grease and has the least possibility of damaging the finish.
    Any water product can result in damage unless the finish is completely intact.
    Water will penetrate at any defect in the finish and can cause the finish to then peel off or blush.

• jilliferd
    15 years ago

John,

Initial logic is the original Kilz oil base to go over grease. Here is a link to the Kilz website. (I know there are other primers that people like, I have only used Kilz personally, so if anyone else with more experience wants to give their brand recommendation...). It does say it seals in odors which is what you want.

But you are still going to have to get as much gunk off the tops as possible before you seal them so you will have to experiment with the suggestions to see what works best.

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Kilz Primer

• blackcats13
    15 years ago

Just thought I'd post my experience if anyone else happens across this thread. I started with the TSP because we already had it. Pulled off the finish, some stain, wasn't really working well with all the grease... I swear it's years of build up on ours. Tried ammonia and water, didn't work. Took them outside with regular oven cleaner found under the sink. Sprayed, left on 10 minutes, wiped off with paper towel, rinsed and dryed, sanded with 180 grit sponge. That seems to take off the grease, along with a good amount of the finish (enough to look awful but not enough to be able to refinish afterwards). Guess we'll be painting :)

• mikend
    15 years ago

I've used WD40 for small stubborn greasy spots (not sure if this is advisable or not- but it seems to work!)

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my wife ended up using greased lightening.....but with elbow grease (no pun) and a razor.....probably a light coating of mineral spirits or paint thinner might have been easier but harm finish....we have decided to use Formby's to drastically reduce the dark finish...unfortunately we cant find it in the stores now......we used it years ago on a oak staircase...on a 110 year old house .......which looked like it was painted black....but after using the Formby's a beautiful oak staircase was revealed and we lighten up just right............

• blackcats13
    15 years ago

John - the greased lightening didn't ruin the finish on yours? I finally got to use it today - lots of elbow grease like you said, the finish is ruined but I expected that and plan to paint them anyway.