Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extruded Mortar

Posted by calgaryhhr (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:34

I have an older home built in the 1950`s which has a portion of the exterior finished in brick. I purchased the home about 8 months ago so I don`t know very much about the history. The brick portion of the exterior has an extruded mortar finish and the brick has been painted at least twice. I`m looking to paint the exterior next spring or summer and the extruded mortar is going to make painting a challenge.

Should I consider knocking off or knocking back the mortar to be flush with the brick face and sealing the exposed mortar followed by painting? Or should I just paint right over the current exterior as it has been done in the past?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extruded Mortar

It was a deliberate design detail you might want to keep.

Knocking off the 'weeping mortar' is HARD because it was applied to raw brick and it is firmly attached. Try it in an inconspicuous area and see if you can handle it without damaging the brick.

Painting is easy: It's a job for a high-volume low-pressure paint sprayer.

o

I did actually knock off some mortar this weekend with my rock hammer and it was quite easy. I was installing a new exterior light fixture and the mortar was interfering with the fixture in a few areas.

Obviously having to knock off the mortar for the entire brick area would be a long a tedious task. I`m personally not a big fan of the look of the extruded mortar but in our case it is painted a dark colour and it isn`t really noticeable from the street and we would be staying with a dark colour.

o

Don't seal mortar and bricks. If moisture can't exit bricks, it can blow the fronts off in a freeze.

o

re Trebruchet's response - there is elastomeric paint which is intended for mortar - just google it. It allows breathing. i.e. "An exterior, flexible high-build coating designed to expand & contract, bridging hairline cracks in vertical masonry surfaces. This extremely durable, mildew & dirt resistant waterproofing finish has superior elasticity & elongation properties to resist cracking. It withstands 98 mph wind-driven rain. The 100% acrylic latex formula provides a breathable film, releasing moisture that builds in walls."

Also, since it's already been painted, is that issue moot?

o

dirt_cred - thanks for the info on the brick and mortar paint. I found the product you were referring to. I wasn`t sure if there was something that should be applied to the exposed mortar if I was to go ahead and chip of the existing portions which are extruded.

o

learn something new every day!

I've never seen extruded mortar...LOL!
it looks like extremely sloppy work instead of
an intended final product!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for examples of
extruded mortar in my southern area.

best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here