Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for stamped metal ceiling tiles?

Posted by dayleann (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 11:32

I've decided to put in stamped metal ceiling in my small dining room (about 9x10 ft). Installation should be pretty simple, because the former owners had installed stringers for (ugh) pressed woodfiber tile (this is the ceiling that was on the floor when I bought the house). The stringers are in place and in good shape, though.

I've been looking at various online sources for stamped ceiling tiles, and wondering if anyone has had any experience buying them online. I'd like to hear of any sources you consider particularly reliable, and also any stories with less than happy results.

Thanks,
Dayle Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for stamped metal ceiling tiles?

I bought my pressed tin ceiling tiles from The American Tin Ceiling Compnay
http://www.americantinceilings.com/home.html
No problems at all with my order and the product looks great!

I ordered a stainless steel backsplash from http://www.archpro.com/ They also offer ceiling tiles. Again, no problems with my order.

I'd definitely recommend either company!

o

Thanks, Shroppie. American tin Ceiling Company is one of the places I looked at, and liked what they had to offer. It's good to hear of a good experience with them. I'll check out Archpro too, I am not sure I had them on my list (bookmarked everything on my old slow computer).

Dayle Ann

o

Archpro did offer a selection of drop-in tiles and nail up tiles. I was specifically looking for nail-up or snap together installation, so American Tin were a much better choice for me. American Tin has a much broader selection of patterns and colors as well. Both were very prompt in filling my order. Can't speak to how they solve problems - i didn't have any!

o

I got mine from the company below. I didn't do my ceiling but I did our kitchen backsplash in one of their patterns. Even though the order was pretty small compared to some they get no doubt, they treated me very well. As a matter of fact several months after I bought the panels I got an e mail from the company wanting to know how everything went with the installation and they requested some pics. if possible of the job. I promised them I would do that when I had some time. The woman I communicated with hounded me in a very friendly manner until I did finally e mail her some pics. It was a pleasure dealing with them and I've refered several people there and they have all been satisfied. Check then out.

Here is a link that might be useful: mboss

o

I have purchased several times from AA Abbingdon, Brooklyn, NY. The prices are reasonable and they have the old presses so I've been able to match my 100 yo ceilings for patching. If you call, they'll mail a catalog and price list. For me they're local so I pick up but they do ship. How far, I don't know.

o

The folks at Ceilume make some great vinyl tiles that look just like pressed tin, but are much easier to work with, and very reasonably priced. They also send free samples. You might check them out as an alternative:
www.ceilume.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl Ceiling Tiles - Stamped Metal Look

o

We are planning on having a stamped tin ceiling in part of our kitchen. I got samples from Classic Ceilings (link below) and I think we'll go with them. Although we didn't actually purchase from them yet, their service was prompt and we really loved the product. Keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Ceilings

o

Wow, what an opportune time for this thread to be resurrected! I never did get around to doing much with my kitchen and dining room after I started this thread. I have Chronic Lyme disease, so occasionally I have to rearrange my priorities to take care of myself. So basically, I am just beginning year 2 of the five year plan I started in mid-2004. I'd given up on the idea of metal ceiling because the price of metal skyrocketed waaaay out of my budget.

But you all must have been reading my mind, because just a week or so ago, I started evaluating my dining room again since metals prices have dropped. My financial advisor (the left side of my brain) insists that I should stick with pasterboard, but my artist/decorator (the other side of my brain) just really likes the look that the tiles would lend to the house even if they are only in the one room. And forced the financial advisor to admit that I could probably tweek my budget to fit it in this small space.

I was pretty impressed with what I saw at Classic Ceilings. My concern being shipping costs (I'm on the other coast). So will compare with some of the other sources and see how it works out. The place in Brooklyn sounds like a possibility-- hope they are still in business.

Thanks for the suggestion, ironhands, but I can't bring myself to put vinyl anything in my house. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. The center part is post and beam, built in about 1870. The newest addition (there are a total of 8, this being Vermont) was put on in 1929.

o

I bought the equivalent of several rooms of 7" cornices from American Tin Ceiling in '05. No problems. Plus they were also available by phone to help us figure out some cutting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here