Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam211_gw

House/window color -- white/white or white/black?

adam211
10 years ago

Opinions please! We were supposed to the order the window days ago, and need to choose a color today!!

I have vinyl siding. I hope not for too much longer, but I'm uncertain of how long. So I have to live with a white exterior.

I am, however, starting to replace the windows because of interior remodeling, adding wall, etc.

I am debating white vs. black (or maybe dark bronze, which is practically black) for our clad windows (Andersen A). The exterior is white (until we reside, if ever) and trim will be white. We are adding trim like the original. Nice, white, thicker trim.

White: "classic", everyone has it, would look good or fine and expected. Would be a lot of white. Could look like a vinyl window. Although white, could fit better with white walls and blend/fit house better.

Black: could look horrible, or really nice, unique, and custom. Curious what this will look like but not sure it would look better. Doesn't look like a vinyl window. If we went with black, was thinking should get black sashes, white frame.

My wife wanted white and me black, I convinced her for the black and liked that idea since most homes of this era (1908) had dark sashes, but now we flipped and I'm thinking the black could be too much contrast with the white, but she likes the custom idea of the black and thinks if we don't get it now we'll never know what it looked like.

They are Andersen A-series, so we consider them paintable and plan to paint if/when we ever reside (who knows).

We keep going back and forth. We like the idea of the black being unique but think it could be a black hole.

Pictures are important. Here we go (I think the black looks more like a black hole than it would in real life). We are starting just with the two upstairs windows.

And, lest you wonder what we were going for in the long run:

Current state:

This post was edited by adam211 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:30

Comments (7)