Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone recognize this tile?

Posted by 1926Hollywood (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 11:16

Hi,
I have been lurking around Garden Web for the past year and only just found the Old House forums! Since then I have been binge-reading and trying to catch up/ learn as much as I can!
What a fantastic source of information - I wish I'd found you earlier!

My (first) question is about the tile in the photo I have attempted to attach - it is the hearth tile in my 1926 home. The fireplace needs repair and I fear for the tile (I fear for the fireplace but I feel more secure about it's repair at the moment!)

The tile surface has a hammered-like finish and the glaze is shiny. The pieces fit together to form the 6x6 squares & appear to be on a mesh backing.

Despite extensive research, I have been unable to find a tile expert who has ever even seen tile like this, let alone help me to find some or even direct me to someone who might be able to recreate it.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone recognize this tile?

Have you talked to the folks at American Restoration Tile? We got bathroom floor tile from them that wasn't anything like you're looking for, but their website says they can custom re-create anything for you. It's certainly worth asking them, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Restoration Tile

o
RE: Does anyone recognize this tile?

Thanks Arlosmom , I have just emailed them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here